Author Topic: Napa Kimchi w/Daikon Radish  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Napa Kimchi w/Daikon Radish
« Reply #-1 on: October 31, 2015, 12:58:44 PM »
Oct 31 2015

Time to make a batch of Kimchi and this time I finally added some shredded Daikon Radish. I remembered that fellow member TenPoint5 had used my recipe but added some Daikon radish and raved about it.

I found some Napa cabbage; 3 heads a little over 2 pounds each and a bunch of organic Daikon radishes. Usually the Daikons I find in the grocery are large; about 2 inches diameter. These were about 1 inch about like a large carrot. I shredded up one and had a half cup so I added that along with a half cup of shredded carrot, some sliced green onions and 4 cloves of minced garlic. Most recipes call for some ginger too but I don’t like it in mine.

Thursday after I got some soup in the Crockpot I cut up the cabbage and got it salted down for a half hour; stirring twice. I start with a large Tupper ware bowl; about twice as large as the one I let it ferment in. After salting and then rinsing well it reduces in bulk more than half. I added the ingredients and a heaping half cup of the Korean red pepper flakes, mixed well and it would set for two days at room temperature to ferment. I stirred it a couple times over that time. My recipe said to let ferment one or two days and I like two days better.

Today I placed it in clean quart jars. I only got two quarts from this batch. It will go in the fridge and I will loosen the lids for 4 or 5 days to burb the jars since it continues to ferment. I like to let it set at least a week before using and I think the longer it sets the better it gets. It will keep at least 4 months in the fridge. I especially like it on a pulled pork or brat sandwich or just plain as a side.

After two days

Smokin Don

Recipe I use:

Napa Kimchee

This is my favorite Kimchee recipe. It is best to use authentic Korean red pepper flakes aka as Korean chili flakes.
You can vary the heat by the amount of red pepper flakes. I use a heaping ½ cup & that is hot enough for me.
Makes about 3 quarts.

5 to 6 lbs Napa cabbage
¾ cup pickling salt or kosher salt
8 scallions finely sliced
1 ½ cups shredded carrots
2 Tbs. finely chopped garlic
2 tsp. sugar
½ cup Korean red pepper flakes (chili flakes)
1 Tbs. salt

Remove limp outer leaves from the cabbage. Quarter the cabbage lengthwise, then cut across the quarters into 1 inch wide pieces. For large heads you may have to cut into 8ths. Put the cabbage in a very large bowl and add the salt. Toss so that the salt coats the cabbage evenly.  Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Toss the cabbage a couple of times during that time. You may need two bowls but it will wilt down and should fit in one large Tupperware bowl.  Rinse the cabbage w/cold water & drain. Toss w/the remaining ingredients & pack into a large crock or covered pottery casserole. Allow to sit on the counter for 1 to 2 days. I let mine set for the two days in the large Tupperware bowl with lid and then pack into quart mason jars. Add water to cover and store in the refrigerator, covered, in the crock or in individual glass jars. Serve as a relish w/any Korean dinners or use in cooking meat dishes soups, stews or fried rice.

I find it best to do up in mason jars for the fridge since they are air tight and this does smell. Be sure and burb the jars for 4 or 5 days after storing in the fridge; it does continue to ferment. It should keep in the fridge at least 4 months.

NOTE:  This recipe can easily be adjusted for a 2 pound head of Napa cabbage.  Divide the remaining ingredients by one third.  This will yield a quart. Use a little over 6 lbs. if you want a full 3 quarts.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Napa Kimchi w/Daikon Radish
« on: October 31, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »
Looks good. I use a slightly different recipe but everyone makes their kim chi differently so that's to be expected. If anyone gets inspired, Don started a thread a couple years ago that ran on for a while and has a number of ideas, etc.

I've gone to using head cabbage instead of Napa most of the time (it's got a crisper texture) and often use Hawaiian chile peppers (like small bird peppers) instead of kochugaru (the Korean powdered stuff). We have too many of those little suckers not to use them whenever we can (and still give some away every week) and they work well (about 8 peppers ILO 1/3 cup kochugaru). The kim chi tastes great and the lighter color doesn't stain as bad in a food fight.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 04:55:28 PM »
Looks good. I use a slightly different recipe but everyone makes their kim chi differently so that's to be expected. If anyone gets inspired, Don started a thread a couple years ago that ran on for a while and has a number of ideas, etc.

I've gone to using head cabbage instead of Napa most of the time (it's got a crisper texture) and often use Hawaiian chile peppers (like small bird peppers) instead of kochugaru (the Korean powdered stuff). We have too many of those little suckers not to use them whenever we can (and still give some away every week) and they work well (about 8 peppers ILO 1/3 cup kochugaru). The kim chi tastes great and the lighter color doesn't stain as bad in a food fight.

Thanks for the idea of just using head cabbage, I may give it a try the next time I make some. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 07:36:39 AM »
Don looks great!

Bet it ships well to California for example :D
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »
Looks like a great recipe and the switch to "crunchier" head cabbage makes sense. No Hawaiian Peppers here, but the Asian market does have the Korean pepper. Thanks for the ideas!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #