Author Topic: Smoked Hummus!  (Read 1558 times)

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
Smoked Hummus!
« Reply #-1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
Hubby James has been hankering for some hummus lately, so I thought I'd dust off the old Cuisinart and give it a whirl. (yuk yuk yuk)

I thought it would be fun to make a regular batch, and a smoked batch.

Ingredients were:

2/3 Cup Tahini
2 Tsp garlic (next time I'm going to try roasted garlic, since that is just heaven)
2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
6 Tbsp lemon juice (more if you like it more tangy)
1/2 cup water
8 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper (if you like a little heat)

For the smoked chickpeas, I threw them on a cookie sheet, and smoked them for about an hour.   I got distracted, but should have stirred them halfway through, since they were kind of pasty on the bottom.

Next I added the tahini, garlic, salt, paprika, and cayenne my food processor and blended it for about a minute. 

Next in was the olive oil and smoked chickpeas. I blended them for a couple of minutes-- the mixture made a thick paste. Added the water, and blended for 2-3 more minutes. Added the lemon juice one tablespoon at a time until it got to my desired tartness, and then blended for a few more minutes.  I ended up adding a bit more water and olive oil, since smoking the chickpeas dried them out a bit too. 

We decided it needed a fancy topper, too, so I did up some bell peppers on the MAK: 

Got those good and roasted,

Then James decided he wanted a go-round with the Cuisinart.  (yuk yuk yuk)  He put the roasted peppers in the food processor with a couple tablespoons of olive oil and pureed it for a bit.  He asked what he could add to make it tangier and a little sweeter, so I suggested some reduced balsamic vinegar glaze.  I think we added about a tablespoon, and it was DANG good.  :) 

For the 'regular' hummus, we did the same thing, just without the smoking step.   Turned out great, just a little thinner than the smoked stuff.

Served it up with some feta, onions, pita bread, and some pickled carrots and green beans I'd done last summer. 

Between James eating an entire tub worth on Sunday, and the SIX cans of garbanzo beans he picked up after work yesterday, I'm guessing this was a hit!  :)   
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Smoked Hummus!
« on: November 18, 2015, 08:04:45 PM »
That just sounds .... well... WOW!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
That spread looks-to-die-for Kat! I love hummus and all it's accompaniments!
Your smoked version sounds real interesting!  I will have to give that a go....real soon!
Thanks for sharing!  ;)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 11:21:29 PM »
Looks great Kat!!! I don't eat a lot of hummus but get hungry for it sometimes and the smoked sounds good, TFS. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 01:56:04 AM »
Sounds like a great idea.  I'll take some without the tahini please.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Online akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 02:39:29 AM »
Great idea and thanks for the recipe.  This will be great for Thanksgiving apps during the awful Iggles, Lions 1230 matchup.
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 08:26:15 AM »
Looks good Kat!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven