Recipes > Game Meats

Missouri deer

(1/3) > >>

tlg4942:
  I craved up a venison shoulder last night.  A good bit of it went to the growing  burger meat pile. 
 But I have been reading  various reports on deer fat. Some seem to think its horrible and others like it so on and so on.
I cleaned all the membrane off very good and as I separated the parts I found a nice 3/16 layer of fat inside away from the skin area.  I put this meat and fat to the side
 for our dinner. I figured I give the fat thing a try and see. Kerry is a very good person to try things on because she will tell me straight up what she thinks.
 I used the food processor to chop the meat. I did not add anything else ...100% Venison. 
I made 4 large patties seasoned with Uncle Bucks and cooked them on the Hibachi (Hot). I topped them with Asiago cheese just at the end.
 Now maybe its the quality of the meat and the fact they get a lot of corn and grains in the fields up there.    I'm not sure but Kerry was upstairs watching her Sunday night Masterpiece Theater and went so far as to come down to tell me how good this is.
 I was picky with the fat I used but I have to say it didn't have any gameness to it at all. The burgers shrank a little and my guess would be the blend was about 90/10 so a little lean. I surely hope the rest come out as good because I will have to use beef fat for them.
 I have sworn off pork in all my burgers. It tends to get a taste I just don't care for too often.
I hope to make some sausage as well with this batch of meat. I have about 30lbs or more to play with.

Note: The food processor seems to produce a much tenderer texture than the grinder, at least for patties. America's test kitchen used a FP for hamburgers and that's where I got the idea.   I plan on trying it for sausage to test the results in those too.
 The thing about the FP is its so fast it doesn't seem worth the cleanup for small batches sometimes.  Its like 4 seconds and its done... If that long.

Smokin Don:
Those are some good looking burgers!!! I'll have one or maybe two!!! Don

TMB:
The burgers I'd try in a heart beat, that funny looking white veggie?  :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

drholly:
Looks great - I'll take Tommy's funny white veggies...  ;) ;D

sliding_billy:
I want some of that for sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version