General > Polls

Par-Boil Brats or Not? SEE NEW POLL!!!

(1/4) > >>

Smokin Don:
Mike (muebe) posted a cook where he simmered some brats in beef and onions before browning on his little wood grill. Gene (Hikerman) said he did not like to boil any meat. Evidently Gene has never been to Wisconsin where that is the norm. I have done them both ways and find it’s pretty hard to make a bad brat!

If I am going to serve brats to a crowd I like to brown them first then they go into beer pepper and onion bath to hold and keep hot. You can hold them on a grill indirect heat or on a smoker at low heat.

Usually just for the family I simmer them in beer, peppers and onions for 15 to 20 minutes then take them to a grill or my pellet smoker to finish. I drain the beer and brown the peppers and onions most of the time.

So not to take away from Mike’s post I made this post.

How do you like to do brats?

1. No par-boil
2. par-boil then brown
3. Brown then simmer to hold

hikerman:
Well then...... :D
Don, Wisconsin is my home away from home. I can't tell you how many saloons, restaurants, campgrounds, resorts and hotels I've been to in Wisconsin thru the years. But so many so I should be able to vote there!! ;)
In my travels I've had a lot of good brats, but found THE VERY BEST bratwursts that I've ever had comes from the award-winning butcher shop Miesfeld's Meat Market in the home of bratwursts, Sheboygan, Wisconsin.
Here is a link from Miesfelds on how-to cook the best brats!
 www.miesfelds.com/wp/grill_tips

So my vote is NO parboil unless cooking for a big crowd!
In that case brats are cooked over coals and HELD in a broth of beer, sliced onions, and butter.  ;)

This is getting me hungry and thirsty! :D

smokeasaurus:
if I have the time...heck yeah......if not, on the grill....win win situation both ways

akruckus:
I have never tired to par boil brats (that I know of), but I would interested in trying it out.  Pan fried or Grilled.

Now I'm really hungry for brats, with no time to cook them :(

Tailgating is my game:

--- Quote from: hikerman on January 19, 2016, 01:34:45 PM ---!
In that case brats are cooked over coals and HELD in a broth of beer, sliced onions, and butter.  ;)

--- End quote ---

That's how I do them tailgating along with a few peppers ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version