Outdoor Cooking Equipment > Gas Smokers

Totally new to smoke

(1/7) > >>

tlg4942:
Ok , whats your suggestions or thoughts taking the following into consideration?  I am listing the highest price that can be met so please...

1. This person is totally new to smoking. 

2. The MAX cost for the smoker is $250.. 

3. Electric or charcoal fuel.  I've had a couple of the cheap gas units so those are out.

I do not mind making mods to improve a unit. Adding door latches,seals, controlled vents are easy and cheap. I have the tools and ability for that. So if you know of something that just needs some small mods I can look at those. 

Thanks

smokeasaurus:
Electric  Charbroil digital smoker  249.99

Charcoal: Barrel offset from hardware store....get some nomex and permatex...just under 250.00

Weber 22.5 kettle..can do grilling and smoking........150.00  plenty of coin left over for accessories

sliding_billy:
I would say either a Weber OTG or a Green Mountain DC.

muebe:
Not really a smoker but the PBC is in your price range and uses charcoal. More of a power cooker but well worth the money IMHO

Big Dawg:
So "the person" (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) is just getting started.

Okay, I'll go with what I know: Weber 22.5 OTG (or Premium, or whatever they're calling it now.)

* New ones aren't really that expensive, buck & a half on Amazon and you're doing a butt for the SuperBowl.  Or the big box stores may have some reduced for quick sale.

* There are hundreds of good quality used ones on CL for half that.
* Tons of accessories - for smoking the first I'd add would be a Smoke n Sear, and the combination would still keep you within your stated budget.
I'd stay away from cheap offsets.  I think there's just too much that needs to be done to them to get them to cook right, plus a steep learning curve.

No opinion about electric, I've never used one.

BD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version