Author Topic: fried chicken sous vide...  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Jaxon

fried chicken sous vide...
« Reply #-1 on: February 10, 2016, 08:27:20 PM »
Or sous vide fried chicken...

We had 8 chicken tenderloins to cook.  they were still in the vacuum bag we froze 'em in, so we dripped 'em in the bath at 149* for 90 minutes.  After that, we put the bag in an ice bath.  Once cooled, we put the bag in the fridge for a couple of days because we weren't ready to cook chicken.
Today, we got 'em out and took 'em out the bag and into some water.  Then we coated well with Mies Breading and deep fried 'em.
Dang!  That's a good way to do those tenderloins
Had some Chick Fil A dipping sauce for 'em...awesome (for chicken)

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: fried chicken sous vide...
« on: February 10, 2016, 11:55:35 PM »
Sounds like a great idea to use when chicken goes on sale... Thanks, Jack!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 07:41:30 AM »
Great idea to have chicken tenders, or even chicken breasts, ready to finish in a short amount of time, like when company suddenly shows up for dinner.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 08:27:19 AM »
What a great idea Jack!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 09:31:56 AM »
Sounds like a great way to make em'
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:17:57 PM »
10 thumbs up!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline KyNola

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
Admittedly, I know little about sous vide.  Was putting the frozen tenderloins in sous vide for 90 minutes at 149 degrees simply to thaw them?  What little I do know about sous vide tells me the tenderloins were not cooked through due to the temperature of the water.  If they were going to ultimately be deep fried I don't understand the advantage of using the sous vide technique.

I'm not being critical.  I honestly don't understand.  Can some of you educate me?

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 12:16:39 PM »
Admittedly, I know little about sous vide.  Was putting the frozen tenderloins in sous vide for 90 minutes at 149 degrees simply to thaw them?  What little I do know about sous vide tells me the tenderloins were not cooked through due to the temperature of the water.  If they were going to ultimately be deep fried I don't understand the advantage of using the sous vide technique.

I'm not being critical.  I honestly don't understand.  Can some of you educate me?

X2
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2016, 06:08:40 PM »

My wife bought a large package of chicken tenderloins.  We repackaged them 8 to 10 and vacuum sealed them and froze 'em.  That was several weeks ago.
Last weekend my wife took a pack of 'em out of the freezer with every intention of cookin' them, but never got a round tuit.  Before they went south in the fridge, I decided to cook them sous vide to protect them.  They were fully cooked when we took 'em out of the bath. 
That is where my post picked up...we took 'em out of the vacuum bag, fully cooked, breaded 'em, and deep fried for 2 1/2 minutes at 390*.  That was enuff time to brown the coating and bring the chicken up to temp. 
We adapted this cook from ChefSteps recipes for wings.  They used a pressure cooker instead of sous vide to cook the wings before deep frying - "flash frying".

Worked really good!!

just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline KyNola

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2016, 10:39:16 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  So they weren't frozen when you put them in the sous vide.  My apologies.  I misread your original post.  Thanks for clarifying for me.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2016, 11:05:21 PM »
Thank you for the reply.  So they weren't frozen when you put them in the sous vide.  My apologies.  I misread your original post.  Thanks for clarifying for me.

But - you can place frozen foods directly into a Sous Vide cook - without thawing first. You will need to add some time to the cook, but much like your famous frozen turkey boulders that you put on the smoker;D...the food will cook up just fine.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401