Author Topic: Sous Vide Sirloin Tip  (Read 1621 times)

Offline muralboy

Sous Vide Sirloin Tip
« Reply #-1 on: March 07, 2016, 10:01:34 PM »
Went looking for a tri tip without any luck but grocery had sirloin tip on sale for $5/lb. 

Figured I would use the Anova Sous Vide to cook and then sear on gasser.  Mixed up some Texas style rub, little EVO and a sprinkle of rub on the roast.  Vac sealed and in the fridge over night. 

Put in the water bath at 135 deg for 14 hours.  Then on grill to sear.  Used the bag juice to make a gravy.  Served up with some gruyere scalloped potatoes. 

Having fun getting to know the Sous Vide.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Sous Vide Sirloin Tip
« on: March 07, 2016, 10:37:48 PM »
Looking good!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 02:48:33 AM »
Nice looking SV there.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 07:26:04 AM »
Looks real good! How did you like this sirloin tip done sv?

Offline muralboy

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 07:33:05 AM »
Looks real good! How did you like this sirloin tip done sv?

Like it a lot.  I typically like my beef a little more on the medium rare+ side, but daughter was home from college and she and my wife like it more medium.  Cooking it SV kept the sirloin tip very moist throughout even at a medium temp.  Using the gas grill for the sear added a nice, light crust too.  Definitely would do it again this way.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 07:59:02 AM »
Looks great!  I am more a medium rare person, but with SV, I can eat it on the medium side, as well.  If it's tender, well, you know...

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 09:36:05 AM »
We cooked a rib eye sous vide yesterday.  Rubbed with Weber Roasted Garlic & Herb seasoning, 132* for 90 minutes, then a quick sear on the gasser like you did.  It really turned out.
Sous vide is Deb's preferred method for steak and chicken now. I like the convenience of it all.
I remembered to snap a shot just before we plated the sides.
[/URL]
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 09:40:19 AM »
My wife has never liked to see much pink showing on her plate, she is definitely a fan of med. cooked meat and I am of the med.- rare crowd. SV cooking allows everyone to get exactly what they prefer. I sv most red meat at 131F and make the difference up in the searing process. When I first got the Anova, I got the hairy-eyeball from her. But now I must say that she loves the Anova more than I!

Offline muralboy

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 09:48:50 AM »
My wife has never liked to see much pink showing on her plate, she is definitely a fan of med. cooked meat and I am of the med.- rare crowd. SV cooking allows everyone to get exactly what they prefer. I sv most red meat at 131F and make the difference up in the searing process. When I first got the Anova, I got the hairy-eyeball from her. But now I must say that she loves the Anova more than I!

I can relate.  But last night's meal started to make her a believer.
Keep Calm And Smoke On