Author Topic: Side by side by silverside (corned beef in limey talk)...  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Side by side by silverside (corned beef in limey talk)...
« Reply #-1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:39:18 AM »
So here we are – St. Patrick’s Day and time to eat corned beef. Decided to go “culturally diverse” this year and try it the way they do it in UK and Australia. As you know, in the USA, we eat corned brisket. In UK and Australia, they mostly use a cut they call “silverside” (essentially bottom round or rump roast) to make their corned beef. In fact, Silverside is apparently the generic name for corned beef in those places.

So I trimmed and corned (identically but separately) a brisket flat and a chunk of rump roast – 7 days in brine, 8 hours in fresh water to soak out some of the salt, and 10 hours at 180o in a sous vide bath. Poured off the liquid (used it to cook the veggies) and sliced…

The “skinny” slices (on the left) are brisket; the others are rump roast/silverside. SWMBO and I noted slight differences in taste and texture:

• The silverside was slightly milder - possibly could have used another day or two in the brine.
     • The silverside had a slightly drier texture - I’d guess due to less internal fat/marbling than the brisket.

We agreed, however, that both were excellent and both way way better than the bagged corned beef you get in the supermarket. I’m thinking we’ll probably go with the silverside most of the time from now on for the following reasons:

• It’s much easier to prep since it's practically “cure-ready,” not needing major surgery to trim the ribbon and cap.
     • The serving cost is much lower. A 12-pound packer brisket will generally yield 6 or 7 pounds of cured and cooked meat. The same raw weight of bottom round or rump (three 4-pound roasts) will yield 10-11 pounds cooked for about the same price as the packer.
     • Silverside still has enough fat to be tasty but for those who like leaner meat (like SWMBO) it doesn’t have a “greasy” feeling/flavor. (I didn’t really understand that but I said, “Yes, dear.”)

Not sure how the silverside will work for pastrami (which I tend to think needs more fat than corned beef) but that's another experiment for another day. In the meantime, I can save my briskets for smoking Texas-style (like God meant us to do when he invented cattle).

Sláinte mhaith
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:07:52 AM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Looks good Turtle!!! TFS and glad we got a photo from you!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Side by side by silverside (corned beef in limey talk)...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 02:46:37 AM »
Another bookmark,thank you
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 02:52:10 AM »
Thanks for sharing.  I love side by side comparisons!
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 07:56:12 AM »
Nicely done, Turtle!  The whole meal looks scrumptious!  (That's my big word for today.) 

I had two 4 + pound corned beef points from the store that I was going to use for some of Hub's EZ pastrami.  I also have a 14 pound corned beef brisket in the freezer.  Went with the two smaller pieces.  They went into the crock pot last night before I went to bed.  They smell wonderful.  Into the fridge to cool and slice before dinner.  I am also saving the liquid to cook the veggies.  I wonder if there is a version of "GRAVY" that I could make from the liquid? 

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:38:25 AM »
... I wonder if there is a version of "GRAVY" that I could make from the liquid? 

Try making a light roux with a couple tablespoons of butter & flour. Add in a cup or so of the (hot) liquid. Boil to thicken, take off the stove, and stir in a couple tablespoons of brown mustard and about half that much horseradish.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:50:50 AM »
e author=ACW3 link=topic=16520.msg219893#msg219893 date=1458215772]... I wonder if there is a version of "GRAVY" that I could make from the liquid? 

Try making a light roux with a couple tablespoons of butter & flour. Add in a cup or so of the (hot) liquid. Boil to thicken, take off the stove, and stir in a couple tablespoons of brown mustard and about half that much horseradish.
[/quote]

That sounds wonderful!
Hey your plate looks excellent Turtle! I did a store-bought flat a la sous vide yesterday. Waiting to slice up tonight and cook veggies in the juice as well.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »
Bookmarked, I just found out yesterday that hubby doesn't like corned beef, likes reubens but not cb and cabbage.geezzz, he's soooo fired.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »
... I wonder if there is a version of "GRAVY" that I could make from the liquid? 

Thank you.  I will give it a try.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11