Author Topic: My take on Izzy's Deli Potato Pancakes  (Read 2100 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
My take on Izzy's Deli Potato Pancakes
« Reply #-1 on: March 20, 2016, 12:38:46 AM »
Mar 19 2016

I made a post about Izzy's Deli's potato pancakes, in Cincinnati, Oh. I posted a link to a youtube video under Restaurants BBQ Joints and Reviews and said it was Izzy Kadetz himself doing the video. After reading more it is pretty iffy this was the Izzy Kadetz of Deli fame. Some info included with the video said this man had spent six years, from ages 18 to 24 in Nazi concentration camps.

The brief history on Izzy at the Izzy's Deli site does not mention him being in a concentration camp. Anyway I like the old guy and his recipe. I used it plus added some from looking at Izzy's Deli Facebook page. They show making up the pancakes, they use Kennebec potatoes from Maine, chop some into a batter, shred some and then just add flour and their seasoning then shallow deep fry. In their video it looks like they just have enough oil to cover the pancakes and fry without turning.

3 large potatoes, peeled
1 large onion
3 eggs
3 heaping Tbs. Flour
salt and pepper to taste, I used Penzey's sandwich sprinkle

I chopped 2 potatoes and the onion in my Ninja and shredded the third potato. I mixed those together and stirred in the 3 eggs until well blended, added the seasoning and stirred it in then added the flour and stirred it in.

I was having BLT's with these so I cooked my Kah's bacon on my Traeger and had it ready with tomatoes and lettuce.

I had a little over ¼ inch of olive and veggie oil in my skillet. My new Maverick infrared thermometer gun worked great keeping my oil at 350 deg. I fried larger ones about 5 inches around for each of us one at a time as the wife and daughter made up their sandwiches. After I got them served I made mine up and my sandwich was mustard on the bottom bun, comeback sauce on the top one, some thin sliced ham, bacon, lettuce and tomato. I had a HAMBLT

We all had applesauce with the pancakes. Sure was good! After I got my pancake ate and half my sandwich ate I fried up the rest of the pancakes. I made them a little smaller, about 4 inches and they were easier to flip. I had 9 more and we ate all but 2.

Now that was not a true recipe of Izzy's Deli pancakes but my take on them and pretty darn good. It looked like Izzy's Deli does not us eggs in theirs so I plane to try that the next time and see how it goes. It has been so long since I ate there I don't remember how they tasted.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: My take on Izzy's Deli Potato Pancakes
« on: March 20, 2016, 06:04:42 AM »
Looks most excellent Don..ya did good..the eggs are just a binder so you could do without them, you need to make some at the Ohio gathering..just sayin, I know the guys like them..someone made them in Augusta one year..   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron