Author Topic: Basic Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABTs)  (Read 21684 times)

Offline RG

• Just a Fat Guy Cooking Stuff
Basic Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABTs)
« Reply #-1 on: May 03, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »
This may have already been posted umpteen times but this is MY way of doing it. I originally got the recipe from a friend of mine on another forum, a guy named Billsfan so I'll give credit where credit is due.

I take Jalapeño peppers and chop the stem end off and cut in half lengthwise, then seed them. I leave a little of the membrane in there (ribs) since that is where the heat is at, not the seeds like people have been lead to believe. I then take 1 package of cream cheese at room temperature and mix in 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Sometimes fresh grated (the best) or usually just a pack of pre shredded cheese. I add 1/2 teaspoon each of paprika and cayenne and mix it all together with gloved hands. I then take the jalapeño halves and fill them with the cheese mixture and wrap each with a half slice of bacon. Stab it with a toothpick for good measure (and to hold the bacon in place). Slap'em on your cooker of choice, I either smoke them on one of my Kegs with some apple wood or one of my pellet poopers at 225° to 235° for about 3 hours until the bacon renders down nicely. Lately I just use my pellet grill so I can stack them on a tray and catch all of the drippings and cook a lot at once.

A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline tomcrete1

Re: Basic Atomic Buffalo Turds (ABTs)
« on: May 03, 2016, 11:43:14 AM »
Wow! as always looks great!
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline RG

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 12:13:13 PM »
Thanks Tom!
A revolving door of cookers and smokers. Some are keepers, some are here today, gone tomorrow!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »
Gotta love those ABT's!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 02:43:25 PM »
Looks awesome!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 04:43:31 PM »
Awesome!  Have you tried using spaghetti ( un-cooked) instead of the toothpicks? Some folks like that they don't have to worry about over-looking a tooth-pick or remembering to remove them ( some of our guests may "over-serve" themselves alcohol...and - this might be a good hospital trip preventative :D )

But...I am curious about the "no heat in the seeds"...I have not really tested that, but - hopefully I can make a batch soon, and will save the seeds to try them separately. Heck - if they are not hot, I can dry and grind them for a flavor add without heat. But I am dubious about the no heat ;D.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RG

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 05:07:24 PM »
Awesome!  Have you tried using spaghetti ( un-cooked) instead of the toothpicks? Some folks like that they don't have to worry about over-looking a tooth-pick or remembering to remove them ( some of our guests may "over-serve" themselves alcohol...and - this might be a good hospital trip preventative :D )

But...I am curious about the "no heat in the seeds"...I have not really tested that, but - hopefully I can make a batch soon, and will save the seeds to try them separately. Heck - if they are not hot, I can dry and grind them for a flavor add without heat. But I am dubious about the no heat ;D.

Let me say that there may be heat but that's NOT the cause of your pain, lol. It's the ribs of the peppers. Google it and you'll find that's the case. I only know because my son is a trained Chef and told me that the membrane was where the heat came from, I argued, I googled, I apologized :P

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 05:55:10 PM »
Love me a good turd  8)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RG

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 06:28:46 PM »
Love me a good turd  8)

Are we doing "phrasing"?? If so, let the games begin! :)

I know this is family oriented so I'll refrain :P

Offline RG

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »
Those look wonderful! 

Kimmie likes hers with  Super Pig rub  ;)      Tee ain't  good for much but boy those Savory Spice rubs make up for his faults   ;) ;) ;) ;)

I'm just kidding Tee, don't send to another forum for punishment  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline RG

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 03:12:26 PM »