Author Topic: Chuckie Goes for a 72 Hour Swim...  (Read 5216 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Chuckie Goes for a 72 Hour Swim...
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 07:35:06 PM »
Beautiful daughters, David.  Watching for your success with a SV chuck.

Art

Thanks, Art
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2016, 07:35:52 PM »
Great pics,great price.

Hey Spuds - Thanks, can't wait to see how it turns out
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2016, 11:22:58 PM »
Well, Chuckie wanted to stay in the spa the full 96 hours... Pulled him out tonight, but didn't have time to do much beyond trying a sample - still working open to close... Put a small piece in the grill pan to sample. Chilled the rest and put in the fridge for later this week.

Some observations:
1) When I pulled it out of the bag, I thought I had over seasoned it. But, tasting it I realized I hadn't in fact it could have used more salt & pepper. Next time I might just use salt & pepper.

2) The meat was very tender, easy to cut with a butter knife. But the fat did not render quite as much as I had hoped. Although I trimmed the outside well, next time I think I will be aggressive on the connective chunks.

All in all - good. Some potatoes, gravy and roasted vegetables and will be a nice meal.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]
Member #

Offline tomcrete1

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 05:31:12 AM »
Very nice, Plate me up! Please.  :)
Webber Spirit
Visions Ceramic
PBC
King Griller Akorn
Big Easy SRG
Big Easy
Rec Tec Mini
PK Grill
Cook Air Grill
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 28" Griddle
Power Air Fryer XL
Copper 22.5" Weber Kettle
Green 22.5" Weber Kettle
Black 22.5" Weber Kettle
22" Modified Old Smokey
DeLonghi 1363 Multifryer

Offline muralboy

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 07:06:27 AM »
Nice looking chuck.
Keep Calm And Smoke On

Offline hikerman

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »
Probably the best way to prepare chuck roast David! I rarely use anything more than S & P before SV. After before browning, the sky's the limit!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 08:47:31 AM »
Looks good to me..I could SV and take to the campground to finish..your girls are beautiful. I have watched them grow up too. You do need to make a timeline video, you won't regret it..promise. I have a cousin that took all our 8mm films and had them put together of all our Christmases at grandma's from when we were kids. All the aunts & uncks are gone now, just us kids.. LOL.. left now, but love the dvd. It can't be replaced.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 11:25:44 AM »
David your's looks great!

My chuckie will be at 96 hours later today. 131F set point. I just seasoned it with salt and black pepper. Going to pull it out later and finish sear it tonight when I get home from work.

Hope mine looks as good as your's does...
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
Chuckie Goes for a 72 Hour Swim...
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 01:22:43 PM »
I love my SV and use the heck out of it, in fact I just put a chunk of sirloin in for supper tonight. I take it to 125 then cook it to desired doneness from there. For me that's just a quick hot sear, for mrs tf a bit more. I use a stainless stock pot almost always. I found a universal fit plastic pan lid that I cut a notch out of that I put on my pot, it fits perfect. I lose nearly no water to evaporation and I suspect it makes the Anova a bit more efficient as far as how much heat it has to generate to maintain set temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 05:25:20 PM »
David, I think you did a great job trimming it the way you did.  And, wow does it look good. You can tell in the last pic that it's still very moist.  Seriously nice job!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2016, 12:19:37 PM »
Probably the best way to prepare chuck roast David! I rarely use anything more than S & P before SV. After before browning, the sky's the limit!

Gene, I believe you are right. Both in the best way to prepare but also in the seasoning. I pulled the chuckie and it had the aroma of the rub, but missing the S&P I would have wanted. I think you are on the right track - S&P before SV and others after. Thanks!

Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2016, 01:44:12 PM »
I love my SV and use the heck out of it, in fact I just put a chunk of sirloin in for supper tonight. I take it to 125 then cook it to desired doneness from there. For me that's just a quick hot sear, for mrs tf a bit more. I use a stainless stock pot almost always. I found a universal fit plastic pan lid that I cut a notch out of that I put on my pot, it fits perfect. I lose nearly no water to evaporation and I suspect it makes the Anova a bit more efficient as far as how much heat it has to generate to maintain set temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great idea! I use a tall Calphalon stock pot - at this temp over 96 hours I only added about 2 qts of water. but this looks like an excellent (inexpensive) method to minimize water "waste." Thanks!
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »
Looks good to me..I could SV and take to the campground to finish..your girls are beautiful. I have watched them grow up too. You do need to make a timeline video, you won't regret it..promise. I have a cousin that took all our 8mm films and had them put together of all our Christmases at grandma's from when we were kids. All the aunts & uncks are gone now, just us kids.. LOL.. left now, but love the dvd. It can't be replaced.  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Thank you, Pam. I am working on one for my oldest daughter as she graduates this year. Here is a link for one I did for my mom when she passed away 4 years ago. I am so glad I had access t her old pictures to put this together.

Member #

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2016, 02:43:17 PM »
Wow it looks amazing .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »
The chuck WAS good seared after its 96 hour swim. But, it has even been better in sandwiches later. After a spell in the fridge, it was easy to slice thin. Layered on some flatbread, topped with mozzarella, cheddar (whatever cheese was in the fridge) and some stone ground mustard - broiled to heat and melt the cheese - ohhhh boyyyy!

Not really picture worthy - ok - I was hungry and lazy. But it WAS good!
Member #