Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Welcome to Outdoor Cooking!

First Things First: Temperatures of food

(1/4) > >>

Barry CB Martin:
Over the millennium it's been discovered through trial and error at first (more recently by scientific research tools) that improperly stored fresh and/or cooked food will grow bacteria that can make those who eat it sick. Or dead. I'm pretty certain you don't want that.

In general I will promote and use the United States Department of Agriculture USDA temperature guidelines and recommendations for safe food temperatures - both storage and preparation.  As you learn to prepare food and gain experience with what cooked food looks and tastes like, develop a personal understanding of textures, tastes and properly prepared food, you may be tgempted to develop your own standards. My only advice on that matter is to learn what the baseline is and why it's been developed before experimenting with defining new boundaries.

Here are a couple of images you may want to print out and keep handy - as it is a very good rule of thumb to remember for storing and cooking food. Minimize the time it spends in the "Danger Zone" by storing uncooked meat/food at lower than 40°F and finishing it to the recommended USDA internal temperature....higher than 145°F. 

click on the image to enlarge - right click to save to your computer desktop.

[attachment deleted by admin]

smokeasaurus:
Good Stuff CB....very important for us Old Smoking Buzzards as well as the New Kids on the Smoking Block!!

bbqchef:
I find it interesting albeit disconcerting the wide variance on "recommended" temperatures in different recipes on numerous websites.

I've always followed the USDA recommendations and haven't killed anyone yet <lol>.

The other interesting thing is the absence of gloves shown on various utube (and other) videos... Raw chicken scares me! I'm not so worried about beef and pork but any poultry (and fish for that matter) gets any extra dose of caution in my kitchen.

sparky:

--- Quote from: bbqchef on November 06, 2012, 04:53:39 PM ---The other interesting thing is the absence of gloves shown on various utube (and other) videos... Raw chicken scares me! I'm not so worried about beef and pork but any poultry (and fish for that matter) gets any extra dose of caution in my kitchen.

--- End quote ---

could not have said it better myself.  such a true statement. 

TwoPockets:
I am just glad they lowered the recommended temps on pork. Finally I am getting some good moist pork that is not all dried out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version