Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Welcome to Outdoor Cooking!

First Things First: Temperatures of food

<< < (2/4) > >>

fishingbouchman:
Gloves that important with chicken?  Don't wear them but wash my hands before I do anything. Did a bird tonight and probably washed them 10 times before I got it on the grill.

Barry CB Martin:

--- Quote from: fishingbouchman on November 06, 2012, 11:40:38 PM ---Gloves that important with chicken?  Don't wear them but was my hands before I do anything. Did a bird tonight and probably washed them 10 times before I got it on the grill.

--- End quote ---

You pose a great question - and here's why:  People who study these things (there's a job listing I'd love to see on Craig's List!) report findings that indicate food workers wearing food safe gloves is possibly less safe than handling food with bare hands...for folks who are perfectly healthy that is.

Seems that wearing gloves blocks the sensation of having dirty hands and folks are more likely to cross-contaminate because they haven't washed their hands after handling something like raw chicken...or possibly don't wash as thoroughly.

bbqchef:
Wearing gloves is an interesting topic unto itself...

Unfortunately a lot of folks (medical included) don't use gloves properly... The process is pretty straight-forward. Wash you hands before putting gloves on. Do whatever (single) task is at hand. Dispose of the gloves and wash your hands again.

It's kind of like cutting boards... use for a single task and change out to another board.

I agree though, a lot of people wear gloves without changing them. (Think the stop-and-rob deli counter where the clerk makes a sandwich, takes your money and makes another sandwich... all with the same gloves on!)

Another point to ponder... some recommend rinsing chicken; others say not to as it just spreads any bacteria that might be present. I think the USDA has changed its recommendation a few times.

Pam Gould:
I'm old fashioned about washing hands while cooking. I have a stainless steel insert that fills half the sink. I add a few drops of bleach to it when I fill it. Wash the sink with bleach then I wash my hands before and during cooking, about 25 times or more. If I add salt, wash hands, pepper, wash hands, gahhlick, wash hands. You get the picture. I spend a lot of time washing, but I feel safe. I have done this for almost 50 years so I think I'm safe. At least I'm still here to talk about it. I used to work in a hospital, so I'm anal about cleanliness.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Scallywag:
I always use gloves. 4 bucks for 100 at Costco.. better safe than sorry IMO

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version