Author Topic: Looking for assistance - possibly entering a BBQ competition  (Read 24862 times)

Offline Ericd3043

Looking for assistance - possibly entering a BBQ competition
« Reply #-1 on: June 21, 2016, 03:41:18 PM »
I am severely tempted to join a Backyard BBQ competition on July 16th put on by a local dealership along with the BBQ retailer that I have mentioned in other posts.  This is a small 4 person team competition - actually thinking of bringing my daughters in to help (and wear the shirt I got for Father's day.....).  Mainly to have fun but.... I would like to win!

The main details:
1)  Registration is $50 (only 10 teams signed up so far, early deadline is Friday).  Top prize is $300 for Grand Champ.  Prizes for 1st - 5th place per category is $100 down to $50.
2)  Categories:  Ribs and Chicken.  Also a peoples choice of 10lbs of Chicken Party legs required (meat provided)
3)  Mid Atlantic BBQ Assoc. rules
4)  KCBS Certified Judges
5)  No gas (wood/ charcoal only), no tampering food after checked in.

My main concern is that I only have 1 smoker to use - would probably do the ribs and chicken in it (Red Box Smoker) and should be able to do both at the same time.  I have a charcoal grill but I rarely use it.  It has a gas side to it and I would have to figure out a way to transport it.

Questions:

1)  Should I try for all 3 categories or just one?
2)  Is it even possible to turn in a good shot with the equipment I have?
3)  Since many of you are KCBS judges, what should I be aware of for the competition.  I usually do well at home, but as I have read - that does not translate well in the competitions.
4)  Any other recommendations/ suggestions/ etc

I may have other questions, but these are the ones that came to mind.....

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
I say go for it. It'll be fun for your daughters, and if you consider the entertainment factor the $50 entry fee looks pretty cheap for a day of fun, with the added kicker that you recoup it if you win or place. So all you REALLY have on the line is your self esteem, and I can think of a lot worse ways to lose that than not winning a BBQ competition! ;D
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline SouthGAQue

Re: Looking for assistance - possibly entering a BBQ competition
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 04:37:56 PM »
Not KCBS, but I am a Master Judge in the Georgia BBQ Association.  First thing to remember in competition BBQ is you are cooking for the judges not for your family.  You need bold flavors since the judges will only take 1-2 bites. 

Practice!  Do a test cook using the contest timelines if you can get them.  Load all your cooking equipment, rubs, sauces, etc & take them out to your test cook area.  Don't allow yourself to go back in the house for something you forgot.  Take notes of what you needed you forgot & what you brought that you didn't need. 

Keep a detailed log of your practice cook starting when you light your fire.  Be as detailed as you can.  It seems like a lot of effort & it is, but the next day you can look back & see what you need to adjust. Get some clamshell  plates & practice your box building.  It will surprise you how long it takes to build a comp box.  Go out to the site & get a feel for how far the walk is from the cook area to turn in.  You will need to figure that in your timelines.

That Red Box Smoker is pretty small from what I know about it.  At minimum, I would cook 10-12 thighs & 3 racks of ribs to get the best for the turn in boxes. Can you do all that at once time on the Red Box?

All that sounds like it will drain all the fun out of it, but if you really love queing & love the challenge of competing then it will be exciting & fun.
Assassin 17 Gravity Feed Smoker
2 UDS
Chargiller Offset
Weber Kettle
Charbroil Gasser.

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 05:46:40 PM »
Not KCBS, but I am a Master Judge in the Georgia BBQ Association.  First thing to remember in competition BBQ is you are cooking for the judges not for your family.  You need bold flavors since the judges will only take 1-2 bites. 

Practice!  Do a test cook using the contest timelines if you can get them.  Load all your cooking equipment, rubs, sauces, etc & take them out to your test cook area.  Don't allow yourself to go back in the house for something you forgot.  Take notes of what you needed you forgot & what you brought that you didn't need. 

Keep a detailed log of your practice cook starting when you light your fire.  Be as detailed as you can.  It seems like a lot of effort & it is, but the next day you can look back & see what you need to adjust. Get some clamshell  plates & practice your box building.  It will surprise you how long it takes to build a comp box.  Go out to the site & get a feel for how far the walk is from the cook area to turn in.  You will need to figure that in your timelines.

That Red Box Smoker is pretty small from what I know about it.  At minimum, I would cook 10-12 thighs & 3 racks of ribs to get the best for the turn in boxes. Can you do all that at once time on the Red Box?

All that sounds like it will drain all the fun out of it, but if you really love queing & love the challenge of competing then it will be exciting & fun.

Thanks for the information.  TBH - I have no idea how to build a comp box.  I have seen competitions on TV but that is no where near what I need to expect.  As for the Red Box - I could do 3 racks of ribs in it - but that is about max.  When I bought it, I was not thinking of anything other than what I do for the family.  I was figuring to see if I could get someone's grill to use for the chicken and then do the racks on the Red Box.  I have had some pretty good results and am now to the point where I can keep the temp right where I want it for quite a while.  My last cook had the temps staying for about 3-4 hours without any fluctuation of 226 degrees.

I do believe it could be fun for my older 3 - I have to see when my oldest gets home from Costa Rica....

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 06:09:56 PM »
I started competing doing "Backyard Griller" competition at a Memphis in May contest.  We cooked Boston Butts and Baby Back ribs and did them on one cooker.  But I probably wouldn't try doing that again, especially on the high-tech piece of equipment I had at the time:

I would say that it would be difficult to do both chicken and ribs in the Red Box.  Heck I wouldn't comfortable doing them both in one of 22" WSMs  ! ! ! !

But, depending on what the other cooker was, it might still be workable, and depending on the relative turn-in times for the legs vs the chicken entries, it could still be workable.  IF the legs were Friday night, it's a no-brainer.  If they are Saturday, they could impact your contest chicken cook.

As far as the boxes, I'm not familiar with the Mid-Atlantic.  KCBS and MBN are way different, though.  One has greens, the other doesn't.  One allows extra sauce, again, the other doesn't.  See if you can find anyone that's been competing in Mid-Atlantic and pick his/her brain.

But, if there's any way that you can swing, give it a shot. I'm sure it will be a hoot ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »
Go for it....

It's only $50, where else can you have that much fun for $50? 

Also just because you are a first timer and don't have big buck equipment does not mean anything.  Back before I retired, the local water park had an event and my boss (the police chief) wanted to enter a team as the fire chief keep goading him on.  We had a couple of us who did all the retirement dinners, fund raiser cookouts, etc... so we got "voluntered" to be the team.  Fire Dept had this monster all stainless and diamond plate aluminum custom smoker trailer and was known for winning competitions.  We showed up with a WSM and one of the old beat up stick burners we borrowed from parks & rec department.  Out of 24 teams, we took first in chicken and 2nd in ribs.  Had one heck of a good time at the "luau" themed meet and greet the night before. Tired as all get out afterwards as we were up most of the night, but it was a ton of fun.  A professional team beat us by 1 point in ribs, so I'll take that any day.  No money as it was for a charity, but it shut the fire chief up!!!!!

So my point is, you can do it with consumer grade equipment and be a first timer and still succeed.  So go for it....

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:32:32 PM »
Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I am looking up the website for the rules - but I need to keep looking.  I do not see much yet.

I think the biggest hurdle is A) convincing my wife it would be a good way to spend $50 and b) convincing my daughters to be on my team.

I have someone with a trailer with the equipment for grilling, but need to check to see if they wanted to volunteer bringing it out and letting me borrow it.  (I have never used it either - but it is well seasoned already)

Just found out my oldest will be back from Costa Rica 2 days prior... so it is lining up.

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 10:07:12 PM »
I as many will be waiting for the news of your Walks.
Good luck.
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline BAM1

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 10:30:57 AM »
Use the Red Box for the ribs and practice a little with your charcoal grill for chicken.  Have fun with it, I'm sure the kids will love it.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 11:29:37 AM »
Go for it for the fun of it!  If you do well you'll just have that much more fun  ;D

Here are a few thoughts to help you understand what KCBS judges will look for:  Moist chicken properly done but not charred up.  Thighs are the most forgiving of overcooking and KCBS judges are quite accustomed to them.  Flavor profile needs a little zing but not much heat.  Red, sweet sauce is quite common.  Ribs must be perfectly done (tenderness) so that when a bite is taken the meat comes cleanly off the bone but the meat DOES NOT fall off the bone.  Zesty rub and smoky background.  Light coat of sauce.   

In KCBS competition there must be at least six distinct, separate pieces in your turn-in box -- nothing still stuck together.  Garnish is optional but tightly regulated as to type (see kcbs.us webdsite for list).  PM me if you have any specific questions -- I've been around this block a few times  ;)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline DWard51

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 07:13:39 PM »
And presentation does count.....

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 11:37:11 PM »
I got some great information today from the local BBQ service company - they were able to forward me the rules.  I also have a "general" commitment from 2 of my daughters to help out.

One potential name for the team ?  Daddy and his "Holy Smokers".  My 12 year old could not stop laughing!

Some tidbits from the competition rules:
1) No preseasoning ribs (but nothing said about trimming them!)
2)  Can use manufacturer enhanced or injected products shown on label - but cannot use teriyaki, lemon pepper and butter injected!)
3)  No precooking - go figure!
4)  No excessive use of alcohol :)
5) Contest times:  Chicken 1:55-2:05p, Ribs 2:25p-2:35p.  Not a big area to walk around, so no big issue in travel time.
6) 6 portions ( I assume this means 6 bones or 6 thighs?)
7) NO Garnish
8) No pooled sauce - personally, I think I will try for a dry rub on the ribs with a glaze that I put on the grill at the last minute to carmelize.

On the chicken, I would assume it is just the chicken - bacon wrapped thighs are a no go?  Just thinking.... it says no toothpicks, stuffing,etc but nothing about wrapping it in bacon!

Offline tailfeathers

• To blessed to be distressed!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:03 PM »
Don't know if it would fly or not, but anything I wrap in bacon I use pieces of uncooked spaghetti noodles in place of toothpicks. They stay firm long enough for the bacon to take a "set" then cook away. No toothpicks to remove, just eat the whole thing!
Bradley 6 rack digital w/ 900w mod
auber pid
Rec Tec 680
Ducane gasser
weber kettles
Anova precision SV
Kitchenaide mixer/chef's choice grinder
LEM stuffer
Vacmaster VP112 chamber sealer
A-maze-n Qmatz/tubes
Cabela's 10" slicer
Cook-Air grill
Cabela's 80L dehydrator

Offline Ericd3043

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 01:51:31 AM »
I had read that idea before but forgot, thanks for the tidbit.  Not sure if they would allow the chicken in that form though (waiting on others with experience to reply!)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »
I got some great information today from the local BBQ service company - they were able to forward me the rules.  I also have a "general" commitment from 2 of my daughters to help out.

One potential name for the team ?  Daddy and his "Holy Smokers".  My 12 year old could not stop laughing!

Some tidbits from the competition rules:
1) No preseasoning ribs (but nothing said about trimming them!)
2)  Can use manufacturer enhanced or injected products shown on label - but cannot use teriyaki, lemon pepper and butter injected!)
3)  No precooking - go figure!
4)  No excessive use of alcohol :)
5) Contest times:  Chicken 1:55-2:05p, Ribs 2:25p-2:35p.  Not a big area to walk around, so no big issue in travel time.
6) 6 portions ( I assume this means 6 bones or 6 thighs?)
7) NO Garnish
8) No pooled sauce - personally, I think I will try for a dry rub on the ribs with a glaze that I put on the grill at the last minute to carmelize.

On the chicken, I would assume it is just the chicken - bacon wrapped thighs are a no go?  Just thinking.... it says no toothpicks, stuffing,etc but nothing about wrapping it in bacon!

1) Yes, you probably can pre-trim your product.  But that's it.  No marinating, rubbing, etc. prior to your meat inspection.
2) A lot of commercial product, chicken especially, is inject at the processing plat to add moisture.  Just make sure that you don't buy a pre-flavored product.
4) I guess they mean in the sauce?
6) Yes, definitely a minimum of six individual ribs.  If you're going with thighs, a good choice, at least six them also.
7) Wish KCBS would adopt this rule ! ! !

I would also think a no-go on the bacon.  It's not allowed in KCBS and that's where your judges are coming from.  Some people use toothpicks to hold the skin in place in the thighs while they are cooking so that they don't shrink up.  If you do that, just make sure that you get all of the toothpick out of your product before turning it in to the judges.

Have fun ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC