Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Articles & Links of Interest

Eating Pink Chicken?

<< < (2/5) > >>

ACW3:
I was brought up to make sure that the "bloody-looking juices from a chicken" meant it was not cooked properly.  I know you can eat "pinK pork, too.  I don't.  I like my pork well done.  Lamb, on the other hand, I eat medium rare, sometimes.  Usually my wife dictates that the lamb be at least medium, which is fine with me also.

Steaks are a different matter altogether.

Art

Pappymn:
Just had some perfect 145 degree pork chop 8)

teesquare:
Chicken and ground meats...165F. Period. No less for me! Use a digital probe thermometer - and do not guess.

I laugh every time I see people try to explain how they know exactly when a steak is rare, med. rare, med, etc...by mashing on their thumb. NO 2 pieces of meat will necessarily cook exactly alike. They might...they might not.
 Temperature is the ONLY knowing way to keep people that you feed safe - when it comes to chicken, and ground meat of any kind.

rwalters:
Under cooked chicken is not only unsafe, but IMO has a disgusting texture. 160° for white meat, and I prefer 185-190° for dark meat.  Personally, I'm a dark meat kinda guy...the white stuff is just to bland.  Made a bunch of drumsticks on my Kamado Joe yesterday...took them up to 185-190°, and had quite a few compliments from our guests. Works for me ;)

muebe:
White meat done at 140F in Sous Vide is so good.

Dark meat I do at 170F in Sous Vide.

I trust my Thermapen and if the juices run clear. A little bit of red at the bones is normal.

And smoke does give a pinkish color

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version