Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Garden to Table - Growing Your Own!

How's your gardens Doing?

(1/3) > >>

Smokin Don:
Aug 01 2016

Last year was not a good tomato year for me. I have a 4X8 raised bed garden and just plat tomatoes. The past six weeks we have had hot humid weather and not much rain. I have been watering about every night at 8 PM when it cools down some. I had been putting out 6 plants but this year since where I bought my plants they came 4 in a pack I put out 12 plants. I had big boys, Roma and Rutgers.

My little garden is full of foliage and I think this has helped hold the moisture in the ground. I have a lot of tomatoes on the vine but they are slow ripening. So far I have had 3 bowls of the Roma and Rutgers like the one shown. The Roma looks like Roma cherry tomatoes. Out of those I had 4 or 5 with bottom rot. A friend said all hers had bottom rot. I am hoping to get some big boys for sandwiches and enough to make a couple quarts of sauce to freeze.

I went to my eye doctor this AM and he gave me drops that dilate the pupil. I can hardly see after he does this. It takes several hours to ware off so I napped most of the afternoon.

A good neighbor brought us a couple of big cucumbers so I peeled and cut those up with some onions, vinegar, water, salt, pepper, garlic and a little dill weed. I found these tomatoes from my garden to add.
Tasted good with some leftover sloppy Joe’s and Mac n cheese.

Smokin Don

TMB:
Funny you asked, I just now started getting peppers in

Going to make powder out of them for  rubs ;)
Ghost peppers starting to come in

Red Habaneros

tlg4942:
  I got more tomatoes this year than ever. But its to hot for them now. I picked the last three big ones yesterday.  Our season starts early here. Our first corn crop comes in by the first of June and even mid May.
The cherry tomatoes are still making but slow.  I got a couple dozen Jalapenos and still have more one the bush. The bells did pretty good but I have a battle with bugs going on right now. 
My herbs are amazing this year.

I will do a second planting of squash soon and maybe try a second round of tomatoes.

akruckus:
I picked my first heirloom tomato yesterday but it isn't quite ready yet.  I make a tomato mozz salad with pesto (garden basil) with the cherry tomatoes I have, but all of my tomatoes are still green.  I am going to get hit all at once, so I will be ready with bacon for BLTs, basil for sauce and bruscetta. Corn has been so good and sweet, carrots are almost gone, but just planted round two for the fall.  The cucumbers I planted, I can't give away fast enough.  I have made 4 jars of pickles so far with more to come most likely this weekend.

I will take some pictures this weekend, totally revamped the garden from years past.  8 tomato plants,  2 cucumbers, 3 bell peppers, 3 fingerling potatoes, 3 garlic, 3 rows of carrots, 6 corn stalks, 2 basil, 1 oregano, and spinach during the spring (will replant later this month for fall harvest).

Ka Honu:
Well, we did have to trim back the Hawaiian Chile bush a bit yesterday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version