Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Articles & Links of Interest

A new way to shop for meals....Home chef

(1/2) > >>

Tailgating is my game:
The cost if true seems interesting but Like most of you I like using my own meat, spices & extras.

Where I could see a use is for a new recipe or style of cooking where we might want to try to make something new. In this case you would not have to buy ingredients that you might not use again like the oil in this video. You would just receive what you need. I have never made Indian food but I like it out,......so I might use this company for that without investing money in extra supplies I might not use again.

Again, I like the cost if you really do save

https://www.facebook.com/realhomechef/videos/914456302007454/

Thoughts

Pappymn:
Lot of these meal in a box companies right now.  A lot of competition for customers. This businesses model smells like the dot.com bubble to me

DWard51:
One of my co-workers has a daughter who does the Blue Apron home delivery thing.  They love it.  I looked into it, but it's either $60 (3 meals for 2 people) or $70 (2 meals for 4 people) a week for their lowest priced plans.  That is $3,120 and $3,640 a year.  I might be more inclined if it was one package a week or every other week, but that's a little too much mail order pricing for my taste.

On the other hand they do rave about the quality of the food that they have been receiving from the program.

Big Dawg:
My two kids have used HelloFresh and have enjoyed most of the meals.

They both say, though, that the prep time is really underestimated.

Oh, and not cheap, either.

BD

Hub:
I've been following some threads on Facebook for a while concerning these meal/box services and I like the concept.  Some are more flexible regarding ordering than others and some play price niches (both high and low). I've yet to try one, though.  What I often do, however is go to my local mega-mongo-hypermarket grocery store and buy the meat at the counter (just enough) then shop the "salad bar" area where most of the other ingredients I'll need are available in small quantities (don't have to buy a whole head of green things or a big bag of stuff -- just enough for the meal I'm fixing).  Nothing rots or grows penicillin in the fridge  :D

I'm usually out of there for around ten bucks a meal for the wife and I.  I do use my own spices and condiments but those don't go bad if properly stored.  Relatively cheap eats compared to paying the tab at a restaurant (usually twenty to thirty bucks for us).  And, I get the fun of the "hunt" -- shopping.  If I were still working full time I'd likely be using one of those services just to save time.

Hub

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version