Author Topic: Drying Peppers  (Read 2244 times)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Drying Peppers
« Reply #-1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:57:00 PM »
Well, I thought I found a supplier of dried peppers in Winco's bulk food section. Theys said online they sell it but upon going there, they do not. So I got the next best thing and thought I would dry them myself. After two trips as I forgot my wallet the first time, I purchased these. I sure do wish I could grow peppers in Western Washington. They also did not have any Jalapenos which was all I wanted was Dried Jalapeno flakes. :'(

I got the jars for when I grind them.

Everybody into the community bath to get to know your cousins and don't get to close  :D

A special towel dry job for my little Bambino's

Ok, into the Sauna  ;D

Since my wife talked me into drying these whole, I'm not exactly sure how long these will take to dry at 125° F. If anyone has a round about time please chime in as this is my first venture at drying anything besides meat and paint ;)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:08:49 PM by Keymaster »

Offline Smokin Soon

Re: Drying Peppers
« on: November 17, 2012, 04:42:23 PM »
That's gonna take a long time! I go up to 12 hours when split. I do mine in the garage also, as there are some fumes.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »
Just wondering - why the decison to dry whole vs. split or sliced? I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
That's gonna take a long time! I go up to 12 hours when split. I do mine in the garage also, as there are some fumes.
Research on the internet indicated 18 to 24 hours. I have appropriate Zombie gear for Grinding ;D

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »
Key -

I did some Jalapenos recently, and  put them in my Smokin Tex cabinet smoker for four hours of mild cherry wood smoke, then finished them in my dehydrator.
Took about 24 hours for me....

But - my point is that the SMELL IS AMAZING!!!! And, I suppose they should now be called chipotle peppers, because of the smoke.

Grate them up over a bowl of stew or chili...OH MAN!!!! The smell and is almost like spicy Borkumriff pipe tobacco!! And - the chipotle flavor profile that it adds is really nice in certain foods...( Like on sliced cheddar cheese,  or making a spicy butter for a spread, or dusted into a bloody mary...)

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
Re: Re: Drying Peppers
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:58:03 PM »
Just wondering - why the decison to dry whole vs. split or sliced? I'd appreciate your thoughts...

Thanks,

David
The wife said it would keep more flavor in the peppers if i did not slice them. I aint gonna argue as it was less work. This was actually a long discussion and now she says her eyes  and throat are burning.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Re: Drying Peppers
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 09:02:03 PM »
The wife said it would keep more flavor in the peppers if i did not slice them. I aint gonna argue as it was less work. This was actually a long discussion and now she says her eyes  and throat are burning.

Can't argue with either of those... I will be trying this when I get back from this trip. Thank you for the inspiration!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:47:09 PM »
All done, I think I'll grind them in a morter pestle as I need them. I like the whole pepper look but 48+ hours to dry was a long time but good cheap fun :)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:50:51 PM »
Key -

I did some Jalapenos recently, and  put them in my Smokin Tex cabinet smoker for four hours of mild cherry wood smoke, then finished them in my dehydrator.
Took about 24 hours for me....

But - my point is that the SMELL IS AMAZING!!!! And, I suppose they should now be called chipotle peppers, because of the smoke.

Grate them up over a bowl of stew or chili...OH MAN!!!! The smell and is almost like spicy Borkumriff pipe tobacco!! And - the chipotle flavor profile that it adds is really nice in certain foods...( Like on sliced cheddar cheese,  or making a spicy butter for a spread, or dusted into a bloody mary...)

T
Sorry T, I missed your post. Next time I will smoke them. It has been really nasty out lately and I use the smoker out on the back porch. I had to crack the garage door for this pepper drying session for two days :-\

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:26:16 PM »
No problem Key!

I have some things up my sleeve - for adding some flavors to the peppers before smoking...Will take some experimenting to see if it works.
 ;D
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401