Author Topic: Delicious (and low cal)  (Read 1545 times)

Offline firezilla

• It's really me, firefly!
    • Possets Perfume
Delicious (and low cal)
« Reply #-1 on: November 24, 2012, 10:16:10 PM »
My favorite thing this fall: grilled acorn squash! Sweet and tender but so full of flavor and unbelievably sweet, these took the best of show for Thanksgiving.

Acorn squash, pierce the skin and the chamber inside where the seeds are.

Put them in the microwave and cook for 4 minutes on high

Now you can quarter them and scoop out the seeds, otherwise they are so very very hard.

Put them on the basket you are going to cook them in, drizzle with canola oil and shake a combination of the following spices on them: cinnamon, clove, cardamom, coriander, and salt.

Put them on the grill and turn them when they look brown and toasty.

Serve and enjoy.

High in taste, high in fibre...you will be happy you went the extra mile with these beauties. Everyone will love them and don't tell anyone about how low in calories they are...just keep that under your hat.
Oh my, I just had the BEST grilled _______! Wow.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Delicious (and low cal)
« on: November 24, 2012, 10:42:22 PM »
GREAT recipe! A nice fall flavor that we should enjoy while it is available!
T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 01:43:08 AM »
That sounds delicious, Firezilla! I love squash, this might help my wife and girls develop a taste - they like almost everything cooked on a fire...

Thanks!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:48:43 AM »
Now I always figured if I ate veggies they would cut down on my meat consumption!! ::)   :D

This recipe is a keeper and gonna get some squash this week!!

Heck, if we all listen to firezilla we might just be around a bit longer!!
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
Sounds wonderful! Love squash!
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline firezilla

• Possets Perfume
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »
Some of my biggest allies are spices, too! I will tell you about some excellent spice blends I found out about which just make things sing....not the sorts of things you usually know about . How about Bahrhat? You must try this...it's like a cross between curry powder and the Casbah! I had it on my SALAD this evening and it stole the show!!! Made a regular ho hum spinach salad into a preternatural experience. Just tossed the salad with regular vinaigrette and then sprinkled a bit of Bahrhat on it in a fit of creativity and ooo la la. There are a lot of places to buy it ready mixed or Google how to make your own. Well worth it.

Offline firezilla

• Possets Perfume
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 09:19:28 PM »
Tonight my husband said a most uncharacteristic thing,"How about cauliflower? On the grill!" Well, I had never had grilled cauliflower and so I took up the challenge with gusto. I have to say it was DELICIOUS! So, I highly recommend that you rush out right now and purchase a head of cauliflower and fix it thusly:

Take the cauliflower and cut off the stem and the leaves. Wrap in wax paper and microwave for about 4 minutes. Transfer it to aluminum foil (with two overlapping sheets which are going to be big enough to fully wrap the cauliflower. Salt the head and sprinkle with your favorite rub (I found the famous Jan's Rub was a perfect compliment), then turn it upside down (the cut stem up). Cut 5 thin pats of butter and put them around the bottom of the cauliflower and let them melt into the head.

Enclose the cauliflower in the aluminum foil and put it directly on a highish grill. Let it cook for an hour, flipping it at least once. When you take it in to serve, stab it with a two pronged fork and make sure it is tender and it should now be quite tender.

Cut it up and serve it and prepare for some serious compliments. This is just the berries and there are very few calories to it. I would recommend less rather than more butter as butter really flavors things so easily, and it does add calories.

Enjoy, this is a real gem of a recipe from every point of view.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 09:28:42 PM »
Very Nice!

I would imagine a little minced garlic - and when finish a light sprinkle of almond slivers might be tasty on this too....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline firezilla

• Possets Perfume
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:09 PM »
heh, yes you are right. But every night I put two heads of garlic in the warming try on the grill and leave it there to the end of the cook. I comes off as divine. We eat an entire head of garlic every day! Yum....

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 02:46:57 AM »
I like how you think Firefly.on my to do list,thank you!!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 12:47:03 AM »
Not a huge fan of cauliflower but that sounds worth a shot!  Might even work for  the dreaded broccoli

Thanks for the tip!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit