Recipes > Baker's Corner

My new "go to" for pizza dough

(1/5) > >>

RG:
Let me start by saying that this is NOT my creation but rather a slightly altered version of Jim Lahey's No Knead dough recipe. Jim uses All Purpose flour. While I have used AP, I find that for my needs/tastes using a 50/50 mixture of King Arthur Bread Flour and 00 Caputo works wonders. I also don't do any hand mixing with a spoon and hands like he instructs. I simply throw all the ingredients in a KitchenAid bowl, slap a dough hook on it and go to town. When it comes together and the sides of the bowl are clean and a dough ball is slappin' around in the bowl I oil my hands, take it out and fold it into itself over and over to make a tight skinned ball and plop it into a greased bowl and put plastic wrap over it and let it sit out on the counter for 18+ hours. This is called bulk proofing or proving, whichever you prefer. When it's proofed you then cut it into desired weight dough balls and either use them then or you can freeze them or you can put them in the fridge for a couple of days THEN use them. It's a real forgiving dough and because it uses so little yeast, you don't have to worry about blown dough. It's a silky dough, very nice to work with and the crumb and chew are excellent and it makes a nice cornicione.

Here's what I use
500g flour (250g King Arthur Bread Flour & 250g Caputo 00)
16g of salt (I use Kosher, Jim uses Sea salt)
1g of Active Dry yeast
350g water

So it's just flour salt yeast and water and time! Simple.

Here's his recipe, unaltered

And yes, slap, slappin', and plop are highly technical culinary terms. Either that or some obese pizza eatin' rice krispies elves!

tomcrete1:
Bookmarked! Thanks RG!  :)

RG:
You're welcome!

Pappymn:
I do one that is similar. If you want to bake, get a good kitchen scale. It's the only time I like the metric system ;)

Lemonhead78:
I will try this recipe for my first ever pizza. Are the flours you use common in supermarkets or should I order online ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version