MEMBER VIDEOS > HighOnSmoke

Smoked Chuck Roast Chili

<< < (3/3)

Smokerjunky:
Great cook Mike and a great video.  Cold and rainy here - sure would like a bowl of that chili, it looks fantastic.

rcrabb22:
I entered this chili recipe in a chili cookoff at a local bar and grill and finished in the money with 3rd place out of 10 entries.  On advice from others who have entered before I cut the spicy heat down.  I smoked my chuck roast on my PBC.  Overall I was pleased with the result but learned a few things too. 

Lessons learned:
I chose a leaner chuck roast to smoke and the without out additional fat to render the smokey flavor was little less then desired due to the decreased smoke fog.  I also did not add any additional wood chips. Given the lean roast the additional wood chips would have been helpful.

I will add additional spice next time.  It could have used a bit more chili character.  It was on the edge of a being tex-mex stew.

On an off topic note:  I did not think a chili could be made poorly but there was an entry that was just plain bad.  Very greasy and did not taste good at all.  My wife actually spit her mouthful out back into the tasting cup  :)

smokeasaurus:
On an off topic note:  I did not think a chili could be made poorly but there was an entry that was just plain bad.  Very greasy and did not taste good at all.  My wife actually spit her mouthful out back into the tasting cup  

Wow, that must have been some real bad stuff.............haven't run across chili that bad yet.................

I am working on a pot of red today...............I am using cubed pork for the meat this time...........

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version