Author Topic: Best place to purchase a Mak  (Read 3493 times)

Offline rwalters

Re: Best place to purchase a Mak
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 11:52:43 AM »
I ended up going with Big Poppa.  Mainly because they threw in some extra rubs and I figure I can use the BPS points on an additional accessory for my Mak.  I ended up getting a full upper shelf, a sear grate, an extra probe, Mak Wifi, and the cord hook.  Now I just need to decide what my first cook will be!
Makes sense!  Those points can add up fast when making big ticket purchases.  I see in your signature that you have a Louisiana pellet grill?  Will you be keeping that, or will the MAK be replacing it?  If the MAK will be replacing it, what is it about the Louisiana that didn't meet your needs?  Just curious...
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline MadFoodScientist

« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 01:51:59 PM »
The Mak will replace it.  There are a few things combined that had me looking at other pellet grills.  I wanted better heat control.  I wanted wifi and programmable cooks.  I wanted better cold smoking ability (tube smoker in the grill).  I wanted a better high heat option.  There was some rust on my Louisiana Grill- though I have removed the rust and repainted.  The casters do not have locks and I live in a windy area- so the grill was blown off my patio several times- makes me nervous to cook on (I know I could have changed the casters for a lot less money).
   I am hoping to sell it- I need to get started on that process.
Mak 2 Star General
Big Steel Keg
Louisiana Grill CS-540

Offline rwalters

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2018, 02:06:24 PM »
The Mak will replace it.  There are a few things combined that had me looking at other pellet grills.  I wanted better heat control.  I wanted wifi and programmable cooks.  I wanted better cold smoking ability (tube smoker in the grill).  I wanted a better high heat option.  There was some rust on my Louisiana Grill- though I have removed the rust and repainted.  The casters do not have locks and I live in a windy area- so the grill was blown off my patio several times- makes me nervous to cook on (I know I could have changed the casters for a lot less money).
   I am hoping to sell it- I need to get started on that process.
Looking at your list, I'd say you picked the right pellet cooker.  You can pretty much check all of those items off the list with your soon to be new MAK :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2018, 02:15:52 PM »
Most pellet grills are top heavy. It never hurts to have a couple bags of pellets sitting on the bottom shelf if they come with one.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline MadFoodScientist

« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2018, 03:02:28 PM »
I agree about weighing down the bottom shelf.  I stuck some extra bricks on the bottom of mine and still had problems!
Mak 2 Star General
Big Steel Keg
Louisiana Grill CS-540

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2018, 09:57:10 PM »
I agree about weighing down the bottom shelf.  I stuck some extra bricks on the bottom of mine and still had problems!

Yup, and I was referring to the 40 lb bags :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 06:51:23 AM »
I have a bungee cord that I use to lash my grills to the deck railing.

After the grill is cooled down from cooking, I put the cover on, then put a bungee around the cover - and then another bungee that loops thru that one - and it is connected to the deck railing.

We can have 70+ mph winds here occasionally.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Oregon Tractor Jack

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »
I purchased my 2 Star from BPS because they offer points bonus on future purchases.  I had enough points to buy the front door.  Having said that, I will purchase direct from MAK in the future.  I live about 25 miles from their factory, so it is a short drive for any instant gratification that I might need.

OTJ
MAK 2 Star
Weber Kettle
Modified Char Griller barrel smoker
Masterbuilt electric smoker
Weber Gas grill
Little Smokey
Charcoal bullet smoker

Offline MadFoodScientist

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2018, 04:21:12 PM »
BPS was extremely fast. I placed the order late Wednesday afternoon and my free rubs and pellets arrived today! I look forward to using them on my new Mak.
Mak 2 Star General
Big Steel Keg
Louisiana Grill CS-540

Offline Harriska2

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2018, 01:12:14 PM »
I know I’m late to the party but if you pick up from MAK directly you get some freebies.