Author Topic: Transporting  (Read 962 times)

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
Transporting
« Reply #-1 on: May 04, 2018, 07:56:23 AM »
What is everyone's best method of transporting their 2 Star to events, work, cookouts, competitions, etc?

Lay it down flat in a truck bed?
Stand it up in truck bed and ratchet it down?
Utility Trailer? How small can they get?

Trying to look at different options I came across this:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Erickson-Cargo-Hauler-with-Ramp/1954888.uts?productVariantId=4104418&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04111246&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp_aY-oHs2gIVkYzICh0wtAwBEAQYBSABEgLszvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Would that be a less jarring ride that a pull behind trailer?

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:09:15 AM by Michigan0626 »
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Re: Transporting
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:15:40 AM »
Small utility trailer work for me.

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:40:58 PM »
First what kind of vehicle do you have?

I looked at rear cargo carriers a couple years ago and decided NOT to go that way. If you strapped it down on its side (laying on a pallet) to the cargo carrier you referenced, it might be okay, but I just wouldn't feel safe with my expensive MAK back there!

I think a trailer (especially a covered one) is your best option if you don't have a pickup truck.  I have seen Dave's trailer in person a few times, and it is nice!

If you do have a pickup, then here's how we transport our MAK a few times each year to events and such:

I have a pallet to which we've glued some closed cell foam strips to act as cushioning.  I empty the pellets, take the grates, drip pan, heat diffuser, etc. out of the MAK, wrap a strap around the body and lid to keep it closed, then with a helper (usually my son) we lay the MAK down on the pallet, lift it onto the back of my pickup, slide it forward and secure it with a strap if needed.

The other parts get stacked into a clean garbage bag for transporting (which works well after the event since the grates & drip pan are usually a bit greasy).

Best of all it's low-to-no cost and keeps the MAK grill safe!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 01:02:45 PM »
First what kind of vehicle do you have?

I looked at rear cargo carriers a couple years ago and decided NOT to go that way. If you strapped it down on its side (laying on a pallet) to the cargo carrier you referenced, it might be okay, but I just wouldn't feel safe with my expensive MAK back there!

I think a trailer (especially a covered one) is your best option if you don't have a pickup truck.  I have seen Dave's trailer in person a few times, and it is nice!

If you do have a pickup, then here's how we transport our MAK a few times each year to events and such:

I have a pallet to which we've glued some closed cell foam strips to act as cushioning.  I empty the pellets, take the grates, drip pan, heat diffuser, etc. out of the MAK, wrap a strap around the body and lid to keep it closed, then with a helper (usually my son) we lay the MAK down on the pallet, lift it onto the back of my pickup, slide it forward and secure it with a strap if needed.

The other parts get stacked into a clean garbage bag for transporting (which works well after the event since the grates & drip pan are usually a bit greasy).

Best of all it's low-to-no cost and keeps the MAK grill safe!

I do have a truck. Since I got that great deal at the bbq/outdoor furniture store, it was already built. We took out all the innards and place them in the cab. The owner then plastic wrapped everything nice and tight. They lifted it straight up into the bed and laid it down on cardboard with the wheels towards the cab. I then took it out by myself in the rail by sliding it onto a folding table. Then tilting the table to stand the smoker up right. That is definitely not a one man job. 

Do you happen to have a picture of one of your transports?
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 02:08:16 PM »
My recommendation: transport the grill STANDING UP.  Lock all of the casters and use your grill cover. I use ratchet tie-downs and affix them together under the grill lid handle, then tighten them down. This keeps the grill from moving or falling over. This has been my technique for years.
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 04:48:09 PM »
That is definitely not a one man job. 

Do you happen to have a picture of one of your transports?

You are correct it is not a one-man job, not even with a 1 Star!  And unfortunately no, I do not have a photo of a transport, but it works really well for us.

My recommendation: transport the grill STANDING UP.  Lock all of the casters and use your grill cover. I use ratchet tie-downs and affix them together under the grill lid handle, then tighten them down. This keeps the grill from moving or falling over. This has been my technique for years.

Bruce between my bed liner and my cap it won't transport standing up in my truck.  Are there risks I'm unaware of transporting it on its back? 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
Tent---you could transport it on its back. HOWEVER...it would be more of a hassle, since you would need to remove everything inside the grill, PLUS remove/vac. out the pellets from the hopper and auger tube. Then, there's the issue of securing the lid so that it doesnt flop open while in transit. And also placing the grill on a thick blanket so that the back of the cooking chamber doesn't get scratched.  So, yes it can be done, just requires more steps and planning to make it work.
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee