Author Topic: Foil over the flame zone?  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Oregon Tractor Jack

Foil over the flame zone?
« Reply #-1 on: May 04, 2018, 11:09:22 AM »
Being a little anal, I really don't like to have drippings drop on top of my flame zone and turn to carbon.  It is particularly bad if you are using a sugar based sauce.  I keep mine covered with foil to help with clean up.  Is this a bad thing?  I see pictures of members MAK's with some well seasoned flame zones on their posts.  Opinions.

OTJ
MAK 2 Star
Weber Kettle
Modified Char Griller barrel smoker
Masterbuilt electric smoker
Weber Gas grill
Little Smokey
Charcoal bullet smoker

Offline rwalters

« on: May 04, 2018, 11:56:35 AM »
In my opinion, it’s one of those things that is purely preference. For me, I use to foil my Traeger back in the day. I now have a MAK 2 Star with the new Flame Zone setup. I no longer foil. I have a narrow and wide stiff metal scraper. It makes easy work of cleaning the FZ pan. As a side note, I have also seen it tested where the cooking surface temps were quite a bit cooler with aluminum covered drip pans. That was another thing that swayed me to start cooking naked...lol.
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Foil over the flame zone?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 12:13:34 PM »
I don't own a MAK (YET) working on Kimmie but wouldn't the flame zone be way to hot??   I mean it does get way up there heat wise
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline rwalters

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
I don't own a MAK (YET) working on Kimmie but wouldn't the flame zone be way to hot??   I mean it does get way up there heat wise
Who is this question for? Not sure I understand what you are saying/asking?
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:52:34 PM »
I'm just asking if the temp would be to high and burn the foil?   I have had issues with extream heat and foil not being happy together being direct heat
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 02:05:36 PM »
I am a proud, unabashed FOILER! I have foiled my MAK since 2009. It is much easier to clean that way. When the foil gets dirty, peel it off, throw it away and replace. (Just be sure to POKE HOLES int he FlameZone ports).

I also foil my covers as well. Then once every couple of months, take everything inside the grill (except the firepot) and soak it in hot water with 2 cups of ammonia. Let it soak for an hour, then scrub it. Everything comes out really clean.

Even at GRILL setting (500+F), the foil is fine. So foil away! BTW, I used Reynolds heavy-duty foil. I buy the twin packs at Costco. About $17 for two of the widest rolls of foil.

Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline rwalters

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 02:06:20 PM »
I'm just asking if the temp would be to high and burn the foil?   I have had issues with extream heat and foil not being happy together being direct heat
Gotcha! Good question... not sure. I do believe that aluminum melts at around 1100°. I do not believe that the MAK (or most other pellet cooker) drip pans get anywhere near that hot.  I could be wrong, but I never had issues on my Traeger, or even my MAK 1 Star I used to foil.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
Gotcha! Good question... not sure. I do believe that aluminum melts at around 1100°. I do not believe that the MAK (or most other pellet cooker) drip pans get anywhere near that hot.  I could be wrong, but I never had issues on my Traeger, or even my MAK 1 Star I used to foil.
But a Traeger like a RecTec  the foil sits on the metal drip pan and there is a burner plate inbetween them, but the MAK burner sits right below the flame plate right?  Guessing here 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 02:42:58 PM »
I am a proud, unabashed FOILER!

Over the years I have become a proud, unabashed NON-FOILER...   for the most part (unless it's something really messy).  :D     

But I might try foiling again after I give the MAK a good Spring cleaning!

One thing I like to keep in mind is foil DOES affect the heat refraction on the lower grate! This could be beneficial for some things, but a hindrance to others.  We cook chicken often at 400° on the bottom grate, and that's one thing that has always seemed to cook better and faster without the foil.

A couple timer per year, whatever stainless parts, grates, covers, etc. that fit into our oven go through a self cleaning cycle, which also works great!

<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Roget

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 03:05:38 PM »
A couple timer per year, whatever stainless parts, grates, covers, etc. that fit into our oven go through a self cleaning cycle, which also works great!

Will the self cleaning cycle not ruin the finish on the stainless steel parts? ??? ???
YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 03:08:35 PM »

Will the self cleaning cycle not ruin the finish on the stainless steel parts? ??? ???
Shouldn't,  thinking how hot the unit can get when searing plate is installed and I would think the temops are higher then vs an oven temp on self clean   or am I wrong?
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 05:20:30 PM »

No... It's 304 grade stainless steel there's no finish to ruin. A lot of guys with MAK s have been doing this for years.

Shouldn't,  thinking how hot the unit can get when searing plate is installed and I would think the temops are higher then vs an oven temp on self clean   or am I wrong?

The temperature in a self cleaning over gets to around 900° F, but even so you are correct. It doesn't hurt a thing.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 05:40:19 PM »
I foil but not the flame zone when the covers are off. I just use a wire brush and we are back at it.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 07:32:08 PM »
TentHunter---I have foiled my MAKs since 2009. And with the new FZ design, have zero trouble reaching 450 or 500F (on GRILL) setting. The foil gets as hot as the FZ pan because it is metal (just a different type). So I dont believe it interfers with heat transfer. At least that has been my excperiece.
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 06:10:28 AM »
Does anybody have and pictures of the foil--non foil set up for us non pellet owners?