Author Topic: Finally took the bait...  (Read 7637 times)

Offline zueth

Re: Finally took the bait...
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 04:45:42 PM »
Those are awesome circulators. We like vegetables, chicken and pork chops the best from the SV. Steak is OK but for what ever reason I struggle with the sear. That may change now that I have a MAK 2 star with sear grates. Need to give that a go next time. They work great for reheating left overs also.
For steak, why not give something like this a try? As much as I love my MAK (and I have the sear grates), I know I would be disappointed with finishing a Sous Vide’d steak on it. You need HEAT... and lots of it to properly finish a steak :)
Jo Chef Professional Culinary Torch – Aluminum Refillable Crème Brulee Blow Torch – With Adjustable Flame – Perfect for Cooking, Baking, Crafts, BBQs – FREE Heat Resistant Place Mat + Recipe eBook https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073YSBC8P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fKT-Ab1KMRT48

I like this for the sear:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS4000KC-Trigger-Start-Torch-Kit-TS4000KC/203368730

but like a hot cast iron best.

Offline Dave R.

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 07:25:59 AM »
I think one of these would do the job when a nice sear is required but the wife thinks I would get into too much trouble.
MAK #3591

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 07:39:32 AM »
A MAPP gas torch is always handy to have. Great for lighting charcoal chimneys, searing/finishing a Sous Vide steak, soldering copper pipe joints.....or freshening up a Jheri Curl -intentionally or otherwise... ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 04:31:02 PM »
I think thats a picture of Tommy searing off a steak for Kimmie!  ;)
I think one of these would do the job when a nice sear is required but the wife thinks I would get into too much trouble.

Terry "Way down in Alabama"