Author Topic: Putting the 1 Star c flame zone thru it’s paces...  (Read 2245 times)

Offline Lantern

Re: Putting the 1 Star c flame zone thru it’s paces...
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 08:02:10 AM »
One of the biggest decision makers for me was the smoke ability of the MAK. The usual ways to get more smoke on other pellet grills require low temp smoldering and I'm not a fan of that flavor. With the MAK's ability to get good smoke flavor at higher temps I get a nice clean smoke flavor without the "flavored" taste....if that makes sense. An example is IMO oak pellets work poorly at low temps, but 275ish they put out a fantastic flavor for brisket and 325ish they make some of the best wings I've ever had.

I think the MAK is dang near magic. I see the sear grates in my future just for easier cleaning alone.

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2018, 12:27:12 PM »
final complement i can give this amazing unicorn of a cooker = after cooking pretty much everything else on the Mak 1 i trusted it with a Wagyu brisket... Holy Cow (hah!) was it sumptuous and delicious.

cooked naked until probed tender all over and then wrapped in BP and dropped to 'smoke' a few hrs until serving time. crispy bark, smokey but not bitter and unctuous beefyfattygoodness.
LSG 24x30 offset vertical with warmer/ Mak 1 Star with flame zone/ Weber JJ/ Napoleon Gemini dual hood gasser & infrared (wall2wall grillgrates)/ umai+foodsaver=dry age...

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2018, 12:51:15 PM »
Man that looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »
Great looking cooks!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Lantern

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2018, 05:56:54 PM »
final complement i can give this amazing unicorn of a cooker = after cooking pretty much everything else on the Mak 1 i trusted it with a Wagyu brisket... Holy Cow (hah!) was it sumptuous and delicious.

cooked naked until probed tender all over and then wrapped in BP and dropped to 'smoke' a few hrs until serving time. crispy bark, smokey but not bitter and unctuous beefyfattygoodness.

Hey now.... ya can't just drop some sexy pics off without telling the pellets and temps!!! LOL!!

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2018, 07:48:09 PM »
Lumberjack 100% Hickory, 200° for two hours and 225 until stall 275 until finish then wrapped in butcher paper on smoke until serving

;)
LSG 24x30 offset vertical with warmer/ Mak 1 Star with flame zone/ Weber JJ/ Napoleon Gemini dual hood gasser & infrared (wall2wall grillgrates)/ umai+foodsaver=dry age...

Offline Gtsum2

Putting the 1 Star c flame zone thru it’s paces...
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2018, 07:54:08 PM »
Great looking piece of meat!  Salt and pepper only?

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2018, 07:55:29 PM »
Great looking piece of meat!  Salt and pepper only?

Yup. S&P only. That frisky wagyu brisket can sing it own notes... and it did.

Offline akjeff

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »
That looks damn good!!
MAK 2 Star
Primo Large Oval
WSM

Offline Michigan0626

• Live Free Or Die
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
How many hours was that delicious looking cook?
MAK 2 Star General #2804
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill
Cook-Air Little Red Corvette
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Classic Weber Kettle
Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer

Offline mrbbq

• MAK GRILLS
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 01:27:07 PM »
Wookieee---yee haw! That brisket is a beauty! Job well done! How would you compare the Waygu with Choice or Prime briskets?
Owner MAK 2 Star #26 & 2638
First MAK Grills employee

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »
How many hours was that delicious looking cook?

‘Bout 11hrs... (not including rest) - wasn’t a big one and I find prime/wagyu cook faster than choice.

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 02:04:30 PM »
Wookieee---yee haw! That brisket is a beauty! Job well done! How would you compare the Waygu with Choice or Prime briskets?

Wagyu is really a specialspecial. Notably more yumiferous. Prime vs choice can vary depending on marbling (grade on those is based on single evaluation of different cut... ribeye if I remember but not sure- so sometimes a choice brisket actually tastes better than a prime due to this). In general I’ll grab Costco prime but only after fondling and inspecting, but sometimes i’ll grab the choice if it’s well marbled and feels right. In general I also let prime and choice wet age in cryo a few weeks if I can as well; helps with tenderness in my experience.

Offline Lantern

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2018, 01:37:27 PM »

Wagyu is really a specialspecial. Notably more yumiferous. Prime vs choice can vary depending on marbling (grade on those is based on single evaluation of different cut... ribeye if I remember but not sure- so sometimes a choice brisket actually tastes better than a prime due to this). In general I’ll grab Costco prime but only after fondling and inspecting, but sometimes i’ll grab the choice if it’s well marbled and feels right. In general I also let prime and choice wet age in cryo a few weeks if I can as well; helps with tenderness in my experience.

I could have typed that myself. I do the exact same.

Offline the wookiee...

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2018, 05:48:47 PM »

[/quote]

I could have typed that myself. I do the exact same.
[/quote]

The real question is do you believe in left vs right sided brisket difference? Some swear by it, others poo-poo it...