Author Topic: Brisket Guess  (Read 756 times)

Offline Hub

Brisket Guess
« Reply #-1 on: July 30, 2018, 06:02:03 AM »
I'm cooking three brisket flats today.  Couldn't get reasonably priced packers -- should have planned ahead.  Anyway, I've got two 10.5 pounders and one 8.7 pounder all trimmed up and rubbed ready to go in the Traeger at 225 for a smoke bath for about five hours.  After that I'll kick the temp up a bit, say to 250 and wrap them.  Anybody want to take a guess on how long it'll take to get them to 195 internal?  I haven't cooked flats in a long, long time.  Big shot in the dark here.

They'll be the dinner entree (along with slaw and beans) for my Sunday School class to feed the group at our local homeless shelter tonight.  Not cooking to competition standards, just want good flavor and tenderness.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline RAD

Re: Brisket Guess
« on: July 30, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
I would bet they will be ready in about 7 hours.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 12:41:19 PM »
Just a shot but I would say 6 to 7 hrs after you wrap them (figuring the amonut of weight that will soak up the heat) 

I only have cooked a flatt in my SRG so no real idea other than a guess :) :)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 06:17:45 AM »
Great guesstimates!  Two of the briskets hit 192 at about the 7 hour point and the other was in the high 180's so I pulled them, knowing they'd "rise" a little.    I sliced them and put them in pans with the cooking juices.  Fed a total of about 50 last night including homeless shelter residents, a couple of administrators and some hungry volunteers.  The Administrator said my Sunday School class gets the award for best meal ever served at the shelter!  Hey, cooking for friends and family is always fun and I often cook for judges and sometimes win but last night was the best cooking award I ever got  ;D 

Our shelter isn't just a place to crash, it is a dedicated "rescue" service where folks get a roof, food, clothing, job referrals, later housing assistance and a hand back up to making a living again.  One of our volunteers/members is a former homeless person and he's made fantastic progress.  Gotta love the folks for trying to get back on their feet and all the folks who help them do it.  I'll cook for this bunch any old day!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline RAD

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 04:54:24 PM »
The work you do is great. Everyone needs a helping hand now and then and great people like you are a Godsend.
Love to cook and eat

Offline Deebo

Brisket Guess
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 07:01:59 AM »
Awesome Hub! I told my wife recently that I would like to do big cooks for our local homeless shelter/ food bank.  I like sharing good food and there are folks out there who need it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk