Author Topic: Low carb chicken nuggets with CarbQuik "batter"  (Read 7737 times)

Offline DWard51

Low carb chicken nuggets with CarbQuik "batter"
« Reply #-1 on: August 19, 2018, 03:34:12 PM »
If you have been following the low carb threads in this forum, you have probably seen a couple of us talking about trying CarbQuik as a flour coating on chicken.  Today I figured I would give it a try on some breast trimmings that we were making into nuggets.   We had 3 large boneless skinless breasts that we needed to cook.  I took the bulk of them and cut them into "chicken strips" and after a light coating of mayo, they were given a sprinkle of rub and into the oven on a raised rack in a 1/2 sheet pan to cook at about 225*.

We decided to take the shorter pieces and cut them into nuggets and give the CarbQuik "flour" coating a try.

I did not measure anything, it was all by eye.  As to the spices, the wife had some "beer can chicken" spice in a grinder she had won as a Bunko prize last week and I also used my goto chicken & pork rub spice.  I would estimate we took about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of CarbQuik and I mixed in spices until I was satisfied I could see the spice in the stirred "flour" base and that there would be enough transfer to taste.  Here is the process for this trial batch....

• Put 1/3 to 1/2 cut CarbQuik low carb flour substitute in a bowl
  • Add spices to desired level (ie, you are confident there is enough you will taste it on the final product
  • lightly coat chicken cut into nuggets or strips with mayo to encourage the flour mix to stick to the chicken
  • Take 1/2 of the "flour" and spice mix and dump in bowl with the chicken, mix to coat evenly
  • The coating was a little thin, so we took 1 egg and beat it.  Poured this over the lightly coated chicken  and mixed
  • dump the remaining flour/spice mix over the egg washed chicken, and mix to again coat evenly
  • placed in air fryer and started off at 400* to set the crust, but decreased to 275* to finish cook the chicken.  Once the crust was set for a few minutes, I spritzed the nugget tops lightly with some Pam spray just to give a little oil to "fry" the exterior of the crust

All said the only carb containing items are the 1/3 to 1/2 cup of CarbQuick and whatever is in your rub.  CarbQuik has 2 net grams per 1/3 cup, and I might have used 1 1/2 tsp of the rubs in total.  There is a small amount of brown sugar in my rub, but it makes a pound and half of the total rub so there can't be much in a tsp or so.  I would conservatively say there is 3 to 4 grams net carbs in this entire batch of nuggets.

Flavor is pretty good.  I want to try this with the Serious Eats - Chic-Fil-A spice mix using the CarbQuik as that recipe is pretty spot on with regular flour for the Chic-Fil-A flavor.  The "flour" coating is a little thick for nuggets, but would be great on air fried chicken (as it chicken parts like traditional fried chicken).   But I would eat these and make them again, so this is a very good start to the process.  I may try it with just the light coating from the initial steps and without the egg wash and 2nd coating to see how that comes out.

This is the "Beer Can Chicken Rub" she won and I used:

Finished nuggets - Tasty!!!!!

And these are the strips we did in the oven.  I started the oven at 275*, then dropped the temp to 225* about 5 minutes after they were put in.  I then flipped on the broiler after about 40 minutes at 225* to finish (checked by internal temp of course).  Nothing but a little mayo to help the rub stick.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Low carb chicken nuggets with CarbQuik "batter"
« on: August 21, 2018, 08:11:58 AM »
Man those look good!    I have been playing with CarbQuick and finding many ways to use it, but I also found not to follow their recipes on the box they just don't work for me

You nuggets look  :thumbup: :thumbup:
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline DWard51

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:19:02 PM »
Let me add an update to this.

The other night the wife bought some trimmed chicken strips on sale and wanted to bread and fry them.  She is supportive of my low carb even though she does not need a diet.  However she is not a huge fan of the CarbQuik "flour" product.   She tried something different.  Apparently there is some fine and very thin "leaf lard" like shortening in the CarbQuik.  She sifted it to only get the fine flour to use for breading on the chicken strips.  Instead of an egg wash, she used a little real mayo on the raw strips to help the "breading" stick.  Seasoned the sifted CarbQuik flour like she normally would and then pan fried in peanut oil.

Came out great.  The flavor was better than using whole CarbQuik and the breading was very very light (not like crispy fried chicken with breading you can pull off with the skin).  It helped that these were skinless strips.   This method made a breading much thinner than what is in my chicken nugget photos above.  Sorry, I did not think to take photos of this.

So try sifting the CarbQuik for a light breading.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 08:13:21 AM »
I'll have to try sifting and the mayo trick :thumbup:     I'm working on a carb quick bread recipe so stay tuned!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:56:29 AM »
They look great, Drew! 

We like using the QuickCarb for battered fish, onion rings, etc.  I'll even add a bit of lite beer instead of water to make it a low-carb beer batter.  It's great being able to enjoy something like that once in a while without blowing the low-carb diet!

If you're interested in better pancake & biscuit recipes, using the CarbQuick, than what's on the box, let me know.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline DWard51

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »
If you're interested in better pancake & biscuit recipes, using the CarbQuick, than what's on the box, let me know.

I would welcome those recipes.  I'm sure others would love to see them posted as well or I'll take a PM if it's a "secret"  8)    At work today, the group went to Longhorns for lunch after a search warrant.  Stuck with the chopped steak with mushroom gravy & side salad to keep carbs reasonable.  But those bread loaves hot out of the oven sure smelled and looked good, as did the sandwiches and burgers some of the others ordered.  Did not touch a single bite of bread and passed mine to a co-worker to take home.   Bread is the one thing I miss most.   I'm thinking I'm going to try a pizza crust recipe I found online a while back this weekend.   If it comes out decent, I'll post something, but any biscuit or pancake recipe would be a treat!

Thanks

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 06:46:40 PM »
Great looking chicken.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 07:05:56 AM »

I would welcome those recipes.  I'm sure others would love to see them posted as well or I'll take a PM if it's a "secret"  8)    At work today, the group went to Longhorns for lunch after a search warrant.  Stuck with the chopped steak with mushroom gravy & side salad to keep carbs reasonable.  But those bread loaves hot out of the oven sure smelled and looked good, as did the sandwiches and burgers some of the others ordered.  Did not touch a single bite of bread and passed mine to a co-worker to take home.   Bread is the one thing I miss most.   I'm thinking I'm going to try a pizza crust recipe I found online a while back this weekend.   If it comes out decent, I'll post something, but any biscuit or pancake recipe would be a treat!

Thanks

I'll post the Pancake & biscuit recipes, no problem!

As far as pizza crust, I posted a cauliflower pizza crust on here last year, but I have actually developed a better version that adds some almond flour. I'll post that as well.

Also Tim, Tommy and I are working behind the scenes looking at the possibility of creating a completely separate sister-forum just for low-carb & keto stuff.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68