Outdoor Cooking Equipment > Kamado Style Cookers

Real wood sticks in a kamado??? Any experience or thoughts?

(1/2) > >>

bamabob:
Been to Academy Sports and Walmart to peruse what they offer this year for lump.  In looking I keep seeing these bags of real wood oak and hickory, not the chunks for adding to lump for smoking but big pieces of real wood.  got me to wondering if these could be used in a kamado instead of lump or briquettes and use the kamado as a true stick burner.
My concern would be maintaining a fire given the efficiency of the keg.  Or getting too much smoke without enough air flow.

Anyone tried this or have any thoughts?

RG:
I am not sure it would work in that manner as for it to burn clean, it needs to be a HOT fire and that combined with the Keg would be utter disaster I think unless you're cooking a steak at 1000 degrees.

bamabob:

--- Quote from: RG on March 03, 2020, 05:33:02 PM ---I am not sure it would work in that manner as for it to burn clean, it needs to be a HOT fire and that combined with the Keg would be utter disaster I think unless you're cooking a steak at 1000 degrees.

--- End quote ---

That brought back a memory from over 40 years ago.  I was at a party where a pile of apple and hickory limbs were ignited and a grate put on top.  We threw some steaks on them and the heat was so intense we could hardly reach to turn and remove them.  One of the best steaks i've ever had, cooked in no time, or at least that's how I remember it.   ::) ::) ::) ::)

I may just give that a try on the keg.

RG:

--- Quote from: bamabob on March 03, 2020, 05:48:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: RG on March 03, 2020, 05:33:02 PM ---I am not sure it would work in that manner as for it to burn clean, it needs to be a HOT fire and that combined with the Keg would be utter disaster I think unless you're cooking a steak at 1000 degrees.

--- End quote ---

That brought back a memory from over 40 years ago.  I was at a party where a pile of apple and hickory limbs were ignited and a grate put on top.  We threw some steaks on them and the heat was so intense we could hardly reach to turn and remove them.  One of the best steaks i've ever had, cooked in no time, or at least that's how I remember it.   ::) ::) ::) ::)

I may just give that a try on the keg.

--- End quote ---

Sometimes the best things come from accidents, lol! That's what my parents always said about me and my siblings :P

Viper2020:
I hate waste the wood from the yard so been using cherry, apple, and pear woods instead of charcoal for more than a year.  You need to start the fire about an hour early and let the wood burn half the way through before start cooking.  There is no issue getting the temperature above 600F. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version