Recipes > Beef Recipes

Trying a chuck roast with Teriyaki marinade

<< < (3/3)

TentHunteR:
For those who like the sciency stuff (like me), here's how it works: Baking soda, like phosphates, change the pH and and negatively charge ions causing the protein strands to slightly repel each other and unravel. This creates space in between them for holding water/moisture.  And it's a lot more efficient than salt, so it doesn't take much! 

--- Quote from: ACW3 on June 01, 2020, 11:13:20 PM ---Question:  Would some baking soda in your rub help change the acidity to a more favorable level?  I have been adding a teaspoon of baking soda to my hamburger and to my grilled onions with great success.  I saw this on America's Test Kitchen, and it seems to work just fine.

Art

--- End quote ---

I think that's a great idea for lean cuts (especially if not marinating), but you'd have to give it some time in the fridge to work it's magic.

--- Quote from: Salmonsmoker on June 02, 2020, 10:48:46 AM ---
I subscribe to ATK also, and I'm seeing more recipes using meat, that have a baking soda component. I made pan fried turkey burgers last night and the recipe (CI) called for baking soda. They were quite moist.

--- End quote ---

Yes! That's part of why I love America's Test kitchen. They often explain the science and chemistry behind cooking.  Call me a food geek, but I love learning this stuff!  : 8)

Hey, did you hear about the two atoms walking down the street when one of them stops and says, "Uh oh, I just lost an electron."  The second asks, "Are you sure?"   The first replies, "Yes, I'm POSITIVE!"   ::)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version