Author Topic: Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 Temperature Checking  (Read 9081 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 Temperature Checking
« Reply #-1 on: December 02, 2020, 12:15:33 PM »
Like most of us here, I monitor my pits' temperatures with a remote reading thermometer and adjust accordingly.  I decided to run my Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 from start-up to about 500°F and track the temps on a 45°F windless day.

I positioned a FireBoard pit temperature probe as close to the Masterbuilt 1050’s probe as possible.  The two probes were sitting at right angles to one another and almost tip to tip.

The FireBoard temperatures were consistently 2°F lower than the Masterbuilt’s displayed temperature from 45°F to 165°F.

Above 165°F to 200°F on the Masterbuilt display, the FireBoard generally registered 20°F lower.

Masterbuilt                  Fireboard
   250°F                         210°F
   415°F                         324°F
   475°F                         378°F
   485°F                         392°F

Based on a boiling water test, I have high confidence in the FireBoard’s accuracy.

These results don't trouble me.  I'll continue to cook by the FireBoard's temperature readings.

I'm interested in what other users are experiencing.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline rexster314

Re: Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 Temperature Checking
« on: December 02, 2020, 04:42:11 PM »
Pretty much what I found with both my 560 and 1050 grills. The MB controller is throttled down so it won't show as many temp swings as the Fireboard.
Do you have the Fireboard running the MB fan? Or just using it as a temp monitor?
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 10:32:33 PM »
Do you have the Fireboard running the MB fan? Or just using it as a temp monitor?

I just use the FireBoard to monitor the temps.

I have no idea of how to make it controll the fan.  I have the FireBoard stoker fan.  Can I plug the Masterbuilt fan lead into it?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline rexster314

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »

I just use the FireBoard to monitor the temps.

I have no idea of how to make it controll the fan.  I have the FireBoard stoker fan.  Can I plug the Masterbuilt fan lead into it?

It's very easy to do. I made my own back in February, then later on this place started selling them ready for plug n play. This plus an ambient temp probe that you already have lets the Fireboard have total control over the Masterbuilt. No more open lid warnings and the like. You can also buy a probe plug from Fireboard that will replace the plug for the rotisserie just make sure you get the RTD version of the plug. It's rated for  over 700 degrees for when you're searing off steaks

https://thebbqhq.com/products/thebbqhq-custom-fireboard-masterbuilt-gravityfed-cable
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham