Author Topic: How Do I Crisp-Up Chicken Skin?  (Read 6991 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
How Do I Crisp-Up Chicken Skin?
« Reply #-1 on: March 27, 2021, 11:55:16 AM »
A typical kamado smoke-roasted chicken recipe calls for 350°F.  I use a FireBoard controller to get the temperature I want at grate level within ± a degree or two.  At that temperature, I don't think the resulting skin will be as crisp as I'd like (I usually grill chicken rather than roast it).

I'm thinking that about 15 minutes before I think it'll be done, I should crank the temperature up to 400-425°F to crisp it.

What do you recommend for crisp chicken skin?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline iflyskyhigh

Re: How Do I Crisp-Up Chicken Skin?
« on: March 27, 2021, 12:14:05 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Constitution is a “Gun Fee Zone” for conservatives

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2021, 12:45:05 PM »
A couple of things I do....

1. place chicken - un covered in the fridge for 24 hors. The dehydration of the skin will only evaporate water from the skin. The meat will not dry out.

2.After removing the chicken from the fridge, use a light rub of corn starch on the chicken. I will do very light spritz of avocado oil, and rub it all over - then a light rub of corn starch.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2021, 02:44:44 PM »
I wonder how that would how that would work on an SRG on an open rack. Up high.  I cook lots of thing on the top rack of the srg. Or deep fry it, that works. Not sure about an air fryer.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 11:15:13 AM »
A couple of things I do....

1. place chicken - un covered in the fridge for 24 hors. The dehydration of the skin will only evaporate water from the skin. The meat will not dry out.

2.After removing the chicken from the fridge, use a light rub of corn starch on the chicken. I will do very light spritz of avocado oil, and rub it all over - then a light rub of corn starch.

1.  I used to do the 24-hour chill after brining fowl.  I had forgotten about it.  Thanks for the reminder.

2.  I recall reading about the corn starch massage, but forgot about that, too.

I'll try both.  That and maybe also cook it at a higher temperature as in the video that iflyskyhigh linked.

I think I'm set.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas