Outdoor Cooking Equipment > Kamado Style Cookers

How Do I Crisp-Up Chicken Skin?

(1/1)

pmillen:
A typical kamado smoke-roasted chicken recipe calls for 350°F.  I use a FireBoard controller to get the temperature I want at grate level within ± a degree or two.  At that temperature, I don't think the resulting skin will be as crisp as I'd like (I usually grill chicken rather than roast it).

I'm thinking that about 15 minutes before I think it'll be done, I should crank the temperature up to 400-425°F to crisp it.

What do you recommend for crisp chicken skin?

iflyskyhigh:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teesquare:
A couple of things I do....

1. place chicken - un covered in the fridge for 24 hors. The dehydration of the skin will only evaporate water from the skin. The meat will not dry out.

2.After removing the chicken from the fridge, use a light rub of corn starch on the chicken. I will do very light spritz of avocado oil, and rub it all over - then a light rub of corn starch.

Pam Gould:
I wonder how that would how that would work on an SRG on an open rack. Up high.  I cook lots of thing on the top rack of the srg. Or deep fry it, that works. Not sure about an air fryer.

pmillen:

--- Quote from: teesquare on March 27, 2021, 12:45:05 PM ---A couple of things I do....

1. place chicken - un covered in the fridge for 24 hors. The dehydration of the skin will only evaporate water from the skin. The meat will not dry out.

2.After removing the chicken from the fridge, use a light rub of corn starch on the chicken. I will do very light spritz of avocado oil, and rub it all over - then a light rub of corn starch.

--- End quote ---

1.  I used to do the 24-hour chill after brining fowl.  I had forgotten about it.  Thanks for the reminder.

2.  I recall reading about the corn starch massage, but forgot about that, too.

I'll try both.  That and maybe also cook it at a higher temperature as in the video that iflyskyhigh linked.

I think I'm set.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version