Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Food Related Tips

I need some help with my spaghetti Carbonara

(1/2) > >>

Pam Gould:
I made spaghetti carbonara for supper, way to salty and I didn't add any salt... blaming it on the Parmesan cheese and bacon. Is there a way to change this?   It would have been fantastic without all the salt. Would pancetta be less salty? I used real parmesan cheese not the stuff in the green can. 
Thanks in advance.
Pam 
 .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Big Dawg:
Good News: I grew up in an Italian household, both of my grandparents came off the boat.

Bad News: Grandmom never made Carbonara.  So my dad never asked for it as we growing up either.  Spaghetti (all pasta for that matter - except for elbows) always, always, always had some sort of marinara on it.

That being said, pancetta is salt cured so I don't know that switching to it would bring any relief from the saltiness of the dish.  If you salted your pasta water, cutting back on that may help.

BD

ACW3:
When I was learning to cook at home, the first meal I made was hamburger and gravy.  I added way TOO MUCH SALT!!  Added a couple of peeled potatoes to the hamburger/gravy mix and simmered for a while.  As I recall, this made the meal edible.  The potatoes "pulled" the salt out of the gravy.

Art

P.S.  I didn't make that mistake again!!

stalag:
When it comes to using bacon, do NOT add any salt anywhere in the dish.  That would also go for ham or other cured meats.  Cured meat has very high salt content.  That includes the pasta as well.

akruckus:
I don't salt the water when I make it.  Bacon/pancetta is a big factor. 

My process:
1. Cook meat while water is heating up.
2. Mix whole eggs, fresh grated parm and black pepper in a mixing bowl, while pasta cooks
3. Cooked pasta straight into pan with bacon/pancetta and mix to get fat covering the noodles,
4. Add pasta/bacon to mixing bowl and stir in pasta water

Matching bowls for my daughter and I

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version