Other Cooking Equipment > Other cookers

My OONI

(1/4) > >>

old sarge:
The topic of homemade pizza in my house occurred once, maybe 20 odd years ago. I bought a Chef BoyRDee pizza kit. I ate it. Not too bad but never again.  Knowing how much I detest eating in restaurants and ordering take-out, my son gave me an Ooni Karu 12 for Christmas and his future wife gave me the gas burner attachment.  Remembering my fight with dough sticking to my fingers and hand, I figured my foray into pizza with the Ooni would be a shortcut using Papa Murphy's take and bake. Did a small personal pizza with a white sauce for my wife and it turned out really well.  I got their 12 inch with extra pepperoni. Now I did not have a peel; only a spatula and tongs. The personal size for my wife looked like a pizza when it left the oven (no pictures).  Mine, being larger, was a near disaster.  First problem was getting the raw pizza off the oven proof baking pan that comes with the pizza - super sticky.   Then getting it into the oven on the stone and periodically rotating it for the next minute or two till finished and then extracting it in one piece.   Sorry about no out of the oven photo but you can see the poor creature in the oven.  It was good and using the Ooni was a hoot. I plan on getting the proper tools and making my own dough for the future.  This oven is a keeper.  My son is a gem.  He even provided the beer:  Chimay!

smokeasaurus:
You are going to have lots of fun with your new OONI.

Great minds think alike, Wendy and I have started doing our own pizzas, so much better than take-out.

We have a Papa Murphys in a neighboring town and we grab one whenever we drive by.

Have fun Sarge!!

Lines:
Nice oven old sarge. My wife has been wanting one of those for awhile now. Thanks for reviewing yours. We may look into one now.

old sarge:
It is nice.  I have not used it with wood yet.  Going to wait till the weather warms up. With the gas, I had the flame cranked up to the point that it was periodically leaving the oven.  I turned it down.  Also, I was concerned about how sooty the smoke was, sort of like having the wick on an oil lamp adjusted too high.  According to OONI, flame was too big and I did not use the chimney.  I sent photos of the instructions (for the stove and the one that came with the gas attachment).  The instructions conflicted with each other.  The chimney is used at all times. As I said, there was a conflict with the two sets of instructions.  Also, the soot never settled on the pizza.  The 12 may is small compared to the larger 16 inch.  But as fast as you can cook a pizza, average 2 minutes, the 12 is great.  Just keep making and cooking.  And the 12 is about 1/2 the price of the larger Karu. Ooni also has a forum and all the questions I sent to Ooni seem to come from forum members, not Ooni corporate.  Pretty sweet.  Looking forward to warmer weather and lots of pizza.

Lines:
Awesome! Thanks again for the information.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version