Outdoor Cooking Equipment > Pellet Grills and Smokers

How Do I Grill on a MAK 2-Star?

<< < (2/2)

old sarge:
I stand corrected.  I thought the PG (pellet grill) 500 and 1000 just had the ability to grill high as well as indirect and smoke.  Thanks for setting me straight.

pmillen:
There's something about my mind that causes me to take everything literally and view everything as black or white.  Also, if there's a possibility that some instruction can be interpreted different from the intended meaning—I'll interpret it differently.

As I reread the MAK instructions–
"The best way to sear is to set the MAK to GRILL. This turns the auger continuously allowing for a better sear.

"I usually close the lid, but you can keep it open.

"My best tip would be to give your grill about 30 minutes to reach searing temperatures before you start. I also like to take the steaks out of the fridge about 45-60min before cooking so they aren’t cold when I grill them."

He writes that he usually closes the lid.  Then, he goes on to suggest that I preheat the grill, with the auger running constantly, for 30 minutes.  That sounds like a recipe for an overheated pit.  I plan to preheat the pit at 400 to 425°F, lid closed, and then switch to the GRILL setting and cook with the lid open.

I'll let you know how the steaks turn out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version