Author Topic: Hamburger Recipes?  (Read 3775 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Hamburger Recipes?
« Reply #-1 on: February 09, 2013, 10:41:45 AM »
One of the favorite things for me people to cook and eat is a hamburger.  I know I love them.  They are so varied and versatile.  I have a number of ways to make them and I am always wanting to learn more and improve.  With that in mind I like to get y'all's ideas, recipes, and techniques of hamburgers.  So, please, let 'er rip.  Thanks, Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Hamburger Recipes?
« on: February 09, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »
Smoke em first and then reverse sear..........

Just smoke em to 160 internal.....burger has a smoke ring and little shrinkage that way..............

don't forget the "Juicy Lucy"........ (I don't care for the name, but there are many variations of it that are real good)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
Big Apple Burger
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
Made this burger two years ago: The Big Apple Burger!

Yeah, that's very special, but it was one of the best burgers I ever cooked!

First I cooked a sauce of onions, Calvados, apple ceider and a bit apple cider vinegar, cream cheese and sour cream, salt, a bit sugar and black pepper (sorry, I can't remember the recipe, it was improved).

Other ingredients: burger patties, habanero honey, onions, apple slices, mushrooms, bacon, and Camembert.

I first seared the shrooms in a pan, while the burgers, onions, bacon and apples were grilled. The bacon and apple slices were glazed with the habanero honey.

While toasting the buns, the burger patties were topped with some Camembert.

Assembling the Big Apple Burger:

And ready to eat:

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 11:23:18 AM »
holy crap.  thats a hamburger.  i like it.   :P
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »
I like to mix pulled pork in with the ground beef before cooking. Makes for a great burger ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »
Great lookin' burger, WC -- thanks for the pics!

My favorite burger is a half pound patty, cooked medium so that its both juicy and flavorful.  While its cooking I saute a bunch of onions in a skillet with some butter until they are softened and lightly browned  but not caramelized.  After the meat is done I toss the bun on the griddle and toast it.  To the toasted  bun I add the meat, a thick slab of cheddar, onions, some pickle chips and a slather of cheap yellow mustard.  Nothing exotic or glamorous, but dern tasty!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline RAD

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 12:24:34 PM »
Simply charred on the outside and still pink on the inside.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 02:48:21 PM »
My burgers are pretty basic also. I like a good 80/20 ground chuck about 1/3 to 1/2 pound, spiced with salt, pepper and garlic powder. I get one of my 14 inch round cast iron griddles out on my CampChef gas range on the deck and cook up a whole pound of bacon, pouring off the grease after each load of bacon but reserving it. After the bacon is done I put the burger patties on the cast iron griddle with a generous portion of the bacon grease and cook them to about medium. It will have a nice char on the outside but be juicy. I put a slice of pepper jack or cheddar cheese on the burger the last minute to let it get soft and melt a bit. Then I build my sandwich with mayo, lettuce and tomato and bacon on the bottom bun and mustard, ketchup and a good splash of Louisiana hot sauce and a good slab of Vidalila onion on the top bun. Serve with chips or fries and a good cold beer. Good Eats.

I usually use about two slices of bacon per burger, the rest of the pound is snacking candy.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 03:07:24 PM »
A couple of nights ago I made some burgers and put something in I had never done before...prepared horseradish.  Give it a nice kick.  Not too much.  Something else I'm now doing is using sandwich thins rather than buns. I needed to reduce some calories so I went to this and found I like it better than the buns because I now taste more of the inside of the sandwich and less of a thick buns.  Although there are some might fine buns out there.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 03:19:55 PM »
I just can't take it anymore...gonna do some boigers tomorrow.......... ;D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 04:57:58 PM »
Jeepers those burgers look and sound good - many to try!

A different thought about burgers - My absolute favorite burger is pretty thin and done on a flat top. Salt and pepper with a good crust. Served on a soft bun (lightly toasted) - a couple sharp dill pickle slices, mmm mmm good. And if you can get a glass of "diner" milk - remember those big milk dispensers with the weighted handle? The milk was always cold and "foamy". Some crisp fries - a perfect hamburger lunch... 

Second place is a burger from Scotty's Drive In in Bismarck, ND. Many years ago while in high school, I owned a bicycle shop across the street from this drive in. Of course many meals were consumed there. At one point looking for something new I asked them to put some tartar sauce on my burger (they were of the flat top variety.) Scottyy's also had fish burgers and shrimp burgers - their tartar sauce was excellent and home made. Thus the Tartar Burger was born. This was in 1972. It is still one of the most popular items on their menu!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 05:16:32 PM »
Love a good burger different ways. I usually do my burgers on my Traeger 300 deg. for a half hour. No grill marks but love them this way, done just right. I usually like mine with just a few toppings, love potato chips on them. I would vote for Wing Commanders burger for the best so far in this post, I could eat one of those right now!  :P Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline RickB

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »
Jeepers those burgers look and sound good - many to try!

A different thought about burgers - My absolute favorite burger is pretty thin and done on a flat top. Salt and pepper with a good crust. Served on a soft bun (lightly toasted) - a couple sharp dill pickle slices, mmm mmm good. And if you can get a glass of "diner" milk - remember those big milk dispensers with the weighted handle? The milk was always cold and "foamy". Some crisp fries - a perfect hamburger lunch... 

Second place is a burger from Scotty's Drive In in Bismarck, ND. Many years ago while in high school, I owned a bicycle shop across the street from this drive in. Of course many meals were consumed there. At one point looking for something new I asked them to put some tartar sauce on my burger (they were of the flat top variety.) Scottyy's also had fish burgers and shrimp burgers - their tartar sauce was excellent and home made. Thus the Tartar Burger was born. This was in 1972. It is still one of the most popular items on their menu!

David

I hear ya...burgers on a flat top get that crust you can't get any other way.

Offline RickB

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 07:41:14 PM »
These days there is only one mandatory step I require for burgers. Grind your own meat. Get a chuck roast grind that puppy up and don't worry about eating it med rare. There is no comparison to store bought meat.