Author Topic: Polish sausage and homemade sauerkraut  (Read 6628 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Polis sausage and homemade sauerkraut
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 02:23:54 AM »
I've cut spaetzle that way before, but it's quicker and easier to mash it through a large holed colander I have.  Does sound about the same.  Good looking meal you have there.
Sounds like you know how to make the noodles. I tried spaetzel once pushing the batter through a tin pie pan with holes I punched in it. Had a mushy mess! I tried the drop noodles and not good too mushy. I let my wife do them when she can. I wanted some once when she was gone so found a recipe that worked for me and the secret I think to good firm noodles is to keep the water at a rapid boil.
Here is the recipe I used

Knopfles, (drop noodles)

2 eggs
2 TBS water
1 cup flour
A pinch or two of salt

Mix all together to form a smooth thick batter.

Bring a pan of salted water to a rapid boil; we use a 4 quart pot about half full of water. Keeping it at a rapid boil is the secret of getting good firm noodles. Using a kitchen knife cut ribbons from the mixing bowl into the boiling water. Try to keep them smaller than a pencil or they get too big. Let cook about 3 min after you get all the noodles cut into the water. Stir some & you can tell when they are done. Drain & use for favorite dish. I do my pork & kraut in a Crockpot & add the noodles the last hr. of cooking they would be good with any dish that has good gravy too.
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 08:30:46 AM »
Don, this brings back such good childhood memories. Sauerkraut & dumplings with either pork or sausage was a staple in our house growing up.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline fishingbouchman

Re: Polish sausage and homemade sauerkraut
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2013, 09:20:54 PM »
 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 02:37:11 AM »
That's heaven on a plate to me!  I learned how to make those dumpling but slicing them off a old fashion cutting board with a handle from my German mother.  One time I complained to her that I wish there was a faster way and she sent me this.  You put the dough/batter in it and run it back and forth to have it drop in broth. 

Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 02:49:36 AM »
THAT is genius! 8)

Offline tatonka3a2

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 09:48:29 PM »
That looks great! 

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 03:24:07 AM »
Is there any difference between knopfles and spaetzle?  They look the same.  I love some spaetzle.  My wife was begging me for some spaetzle last night, so I have a loin roast defrosting and will probably have them Monday.
I would say yes, traditional German spaetzel is usually pressed through holes being more round. My wife mixes up her knopfles, egg, flour and a little water and cuts it into rapidly boiling water with a knife. They are the same as far as ingredients I think. I guess you could call them what you want!  ;D Don

There's no real difference between Spaetzle and Knoepfle, but their form. The dough is indeed the same. You call them Spaetzle if their length is at least 2x more than their diameter - if it's less, you call them Knoepfle.

And pressed through holes is not original, but more popular and easy. Authentically you scrape the dough in very small portions from a wooden board - you can take a look at that here.

And BTW, Don: That meal looks very good and I'd never had preferred a pizza if I could have had a plate of that!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 04:23:26 AM »
I shouldn't read this stuff at 3:30 in the morning.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Chili Head

Polish sausage and homemade sauerkraut
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 02:30:11 AM »
Wow don't that look good!

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 02:40:59 AM »
Don,That kraut looks just like mine.Your noodles are what we call dumplings in chicken paprikash,just eggs and flour.They sure are good!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.