Author Topic: Rubs - not for grilling?  (Read 3054 times)

Barry CB Martin

Rubs - not for grilling?
« Reply #-1 on: February 18, 2013, 03:34:14 AM »
Hopefully the title of this post explains where I'm coming from.  So here goes...

In my experience rubs are absolutely excellent for low & slow indirect cooking...BUT are not wise for grillng over direct heat BECAUSE the spices/sugars in the rubs generally burn at the higher temps of grilling.  SO I may apply rubs during a seasoning period and, as I do with marinade, wipe off the surface as much as possible prior to direct grilling.  I will use some of the same rub ingredients in a glaze during the final stage of cooking, often just before removing from direct heat and placing in a tray off of direct heat to finish.

Your thoughts?

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
Re: Rubs - not for grilling?
« on: February 18, 2013, 03:42:15 AM »
I understand and appreciate your thought process, but I can't say I've had a problem burning spices during grilling.  I have burned some in the SRG chamber when I've been distracted and left the lid down too long, but that's a different story.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 07:31:40 AM »
I have used rubs on steaks and chops that are grilled without any ill effects. I suppose a rub that has large pieces of sage or thyme for example might not be as suitable for grilling.

Then you need to go to the actual definition of a rub versus seasoning and that itself is debatable.

We do know however that when dealing with sugar while cooking on infrared over a longer period than grilling takes the sugar will burn. But because grilling is usually no longer than 12 minutes I don't have a problem with it.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 08:28:37 AM »
Good topic!

I think at least two variables come into play:  The main ingredients of the rub, and the method of grilling. 

As mentioned, sugars in the rub char under intense temperatures and certain ingredients or types of them may develop an unintended flavor over super high heat (e.g. garlic may turn bitter).  Because of this I don't use sugary rubs on anything I'm going to grill, but low-sugar rubs seem to work okay in most instances.  Also, I've found that the garlic in good ol' Montreal Steak doesn't go foul on the fire for some reason but if I've used fresh garlic, it'll burn and taste funny.

Another observation:  When I use my GrillGrates I can use a modest quantity of higher sugar rub.  I think this is because the GG's keep the moisture close to the surface of the meat and decrease the char effect except for right on the bars where it concentrates, of course, making those gorgeous grill marks.

There's another avoidable effect from rubs on chunks you're going to grill -- salt and MSG will sometimes create a "crust" layer on the meat and make it cook up dry and stringy on the surface.  Applying the rub no more than ten or fifteen minutes prior to grilling usually avoids this.

Finally, a workable way to avoid these problems in total is to not use rub before the cook, but sprinkle the meat lightly with some finely ground rub "dust" (a coffee grinder works well for this) immediately after it comes off the grill.

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 08:34:57 AM »
We have usually stuck with salt and pepper and some garlic powder for grilling. Sugary rubs can burn sometimes.........older BBQ books say to season your meat after the cook like Hub pointed out....
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
I have to agree as a general rule. But with chicken or turkey mix rub with  a little oil or butter and place under the skin. Problen solved.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 06:04:29 PM »
If the rub is high in sugar content I agree but rubs or seasonings like GunPowder or Awake- a -Steak  I use during the entire grilling time with no issues.

Now the pork rub I make I would not use for grilling unless it's for Kimmie  ;) then none of this matters 'cause it's got to be burnt anyway!  :D :D :D :D
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Rubs - not for grilling?
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »
If the rub is high in sugar content I agree but rubs or seasonings like GunPowder or Awake- a -Steak  I use during the entire grilling time with no issues.

Now the pork rub I make I would not use for grilling unless it's for Kimmie  ;) then none of this matters 'cause it's got to be burnt anyway!  :D :D :D :D
Lol!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 07:03:55 PM »

Tommy is kinda making a joke about it - kinda - but my experience is the "taste buds" of the eater is really important here. I've found that spicey rubs on meat with lotsa heat are more widespread in popularit in the south and southwest, less so in the NW, MW and such.

What I find is the spices, even ground black pepper, will burn on contact with a hot cast iron pan or grates will burn, and that's hot a favorite flavor of mine...BUT in some circles, it's either preferred and/or goes unnoticed. 

thoughts?

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 07:17:29 PM »
What I find is the spices, even ground black pepper, will burn on contact with a hot cast iron pan or grates will burn, and that's hot a favorite flavor of mine...BUT in some circles, it's either preferred and/or goes unnoticed. 
thoughts?

I think it was Alton Brown who said - when grilling in a hot pan to use salt - it won't burn - it's a rock, but add other seasonings after developing the crust and lowering the heat. I've typically followed that idea when grilling or when cooking in a hot cast iron pan. When I have deviated from that maxim, typically the flavor has not been quite what I expected. Now, I am in the MW, so that might be the "problem". But, seriously, I can't imagine burning a bunch of spices or herbs at 500* plus will do anything good. My favorite steak is done in a screaming hot cast iron pan - just seasoned with salt. Then I add a compound butter as it rests - some fresh ground pepper as it is served.

Cheers,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

Rubs - not for grilling?
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »
thoughts?

I think it was Alton Brown who said - when grilling in a hot pan to use salt - it won't burn - it's a rock, but add other seasonings after developing the crust and lowering the heat. I've typically followed that idea when grilling or when cooking in a hot cast iron pan. When I have deviated from that maxim, typically the flavor has not been quite what I expected. Now, I am in the MW, so that might be the "problem". But, seriously, I can't imagine burning a bunch of spices or herbs at 500* plus will do anything good. My favorite steak is done in a screaming hot cast iron pan - just seasoned with salt. Then I add a compound butter as it rests - some fresh ground pepper as it is served.

Cheers,

David

Nailed it. Perfect method for steak IMHO.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
We have usually stuck with salt and pepper and some garlic powder for grilling. Sugary rubs can burn sometimes.........older BBQ books say to season your meat after the cook like Hub pointed out....

Same here with me...same results
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 10:09:52 AM »
@ Barry.
For the best steak you cooked.
What seasoning dod you use?
If you marinade, what was the marinade for the steaks?

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »
@ Barry.
For the best steak you cooked.
What seasoning dod you use?
If you marinade, what was the marinade for the steaks?

I'm simple - as though who have met me will affirm.

I use salt only and dress the steak after - sometimes - with a clarrified butter-garlic-parsley-anchovy mix, if at all. I pepper after the cook and rarely use marinades on beef, mostly on boneless chicken breasts...

why do you ask?

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 11:41:35 AM »
From a guy that puts Ketchup on steak (not all the time ;)) I love a little garlic & pepper...but i will try it with just salt next time.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill