Author Topic: Rubs - not for grilling?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline Tailgating is my game

Re: Rubs - not for grilling?
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »
@ Barry.
For the best steak you cooked.
What seasoning dod you use?
If you marinade, what was the marinade for the steaks?

I pepper after the cook and rarely use marinades on beef, mostly on boneless chicken breasts...

why do you ask?

Barry do you use marinades on london broil? I like italian dressing on it for around four to six hours before grilling. Some say just cook it real hot & fast!
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 02:08:58 PM »
that's just before grilling, sometimes up to several hours too. But after wards,,,other spices are welcome! BUT that's just my taste buds, of course I serve my guests what they desire....

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »
When I use rubs on meats other then chicken and MY steak. I will use a reverse sear on the meat. In other words they sit over low heat on the grill until heated through, then right before they are ready to come off. They hit the 700 degrees screaming hot searing grill to finish. The rub is then incincorporated and doesn't burn
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2013, 10:04:35 PM »
The rub is then incincorporated ...

I don't speak Iowan, so I had to look this up.  It turns out that "incincorporated" is a state wherein the seasoning on a cut of meat is somewhere between incorporated and incinerated. The degree of incincorporation depends mostly on the blood-alcohol level of the cook whilst the meal is being prepared.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2013, 10:08:16 PM »
The rub is then incincorporated ...

I don't speak Iowan, so I had to look this up.  It turns out that "incincorporated" is a state wherein the seasoning on a cut of meat is somewhere between incorporated and incinerated. The degree of incincorporation depends mostly on the blood-alcohol level of the cook whilst the meal is being prepared.

Not to mention while typing
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
[size=78%]Barry do you use marinades on london broil? I like italian dressing on it for around four to six hours before grilling. Some say just cook it real hot & fast![/size]

Usually in our neck-o-the-woods that term London Broil is attached to round steak...and generally don't care for that cut.  As for flank steak or the like I'm one of those guys who likes the flavor or meat and a layer on the surface of it as it's finishing, usually with a glaze, sometimes after with a sauce.... Don't care for marinades on thinner (under 2 inch) cuts of meat cause the flavor takes over the meat, not my deal.

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 12:06:17 AM »
[size=78%]Barry do you use marinades on london broil? I like italian dressing on it for around four to six hours before grilling. Some say just cook it real hot & fast![/size]

Usually in our neck-o-the-woods that term London Broil is attached to round steak...and generally don't care for that cut.  As for flank steak or the like I'm one of those guys who likes the flavor or meat and a layer on the surface of it as it's finishing, usually with a glaze, sometimes after with a sauce.... Don't care for marinades on thinner (under 2 inch) cuts of meat cause the flavor takes over the meat, not my deal.

For me at this time it comes down to $$$$ ;) A London broil is a great way to get a really good meal out of a less expensive cut of meat. But it must be cooked just right & it comes out nice, But I really do like a sirloin, T-bone & other cuts better.
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill