Author Topic: Tasty unicorn cook  (Read 1964 times)

Offline TwoPockets

Tasty unicorn cook
« Reply #-1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:52:23 PM »
OK, no pictures so it didn't really happen but this was one tasty unicorn cook.

Belle Foods (was Bruno's) in Birmingham had a cut of meat I had never seen before in their Wednesday newspaper ad. It was called "Pork Loin Rib Half, Bone In" for $1.39 a pound. It was a pork loin with a rack of baby back ribs still attached. Their baby backs run $5.99 a pound and the pork loin usually a little less. I picked up an 8+ lb piece of meat and then since it was just two of us I cut it into two pieces and vacuum bagged half.

I rubbed it down liberally with Fine Swine and Bovine rub (http://savorspices.com/redneck.html) and let it sit for a few hours in the fridge. The wife came home from running errands and wanted to know if it was done yet. Since she had given me no indication of what time she wanted to eat I had to go into hurry up mode, thus no pictures.

I took it out of the fridge and let it try and come up to room temp while I got the Weber Perfomer ready to cook. I half filled my Weber chimney with Kingsford and got it going with 2 pieces of newspaper. After about 10 minutes I added the hot coals to the two half circle Weber charcoal basket , one on each side of the grill. I finished filling up the baskets with unlit coals and added a nice size chunk of Pecan wood to each basket. I put an aluminum baking pan down between the two baskets and poured a couple of beers in it. When the grill got up to about 400 degrees I  took the meat and seared each side about 3 minutes directly over the charcoal thenput the big hunk of pork down rib side down over the pan to cook indirec and stuck my old Maverick meat thermometer into the side.

I am still trying to relearn how to cook on a Weber after about 10 years of cooking with gas so I had to play with the vents trying to keep the temps down. The temps were between 350-400 for most of the cook. It took about two hours to get the IT up to 150 and then I pulled it and let it rest tented under foil until my wife got the sides done. When I pulled it from the foil I took my butcher knife and trimmed the baby back ribs off and sliced them into individual bones.  I sliced the loin into 1 inch slices and served with baked beans and a salad.

I have had problems in the past with pork loing drying out on me but this was very juicy and tender and the ribs and loin picked up a nice bit of the pecan smoke flavor.

It is the first time I have seen this cut of meat for sale, but I will be asking the butcher for it again. $1.39 a pound was freaking unreal for such a nice piece of meat.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Tasty unicorn cook
« on: February 23, 2013, 02:53:20 PM »

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
Re: Tasty unicorn cook
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Be nice...Ken doesn't do pics and he's not used to the abuse that Dee takes.  It sounds good though.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 03:08:52 PM »
Ken has got to stop using Dee's camera  :D  To keep your temps in the 250 range try only 15-20 briquettes in one basket only with maybe 6 lit to get em going. The Webers can really hold the heat and it don't take much coal to do it.........then add maybe 8 unlit coals every 45 min to an hour with the bottom vent slightly cracked and the top vent wide open.........
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 03:15:39 PM »
Sounds like a great "unicorn" cook. It's funny how we get used to one or two tools for cooking and have to relearn some of our old "friends". What a great price on an interesting "cut" of meat. A heck of a deal! With a wife and two teenage daughters, I totally understand the "hurry up" mode of prep and cooking - that's why I don't post 99% of my cooks! Pecan is my goto wood for a light smoke as well. Thanks for the story, Ken!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 03:27:21 PM »
Ken has got to stop using Dee's camera  :D  To keep your temps in the 250 range try only 15-20 briquettes in one basket only with maybe 6 lit to get em going. The Webers can really hold the heat and it don't take much coal to do it.........then add maybe 8 unlit coals every 45 min to an hour with the bottom vent slightly cracked and the top vent wide open.........

Thanks Smoke, for years I used my old Weber mainly for hot and fast cooking. I am enjoying learning how to use if for lower and indirect cooking.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:58:50 PM »
Go get it Ken!  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Tasty unicorn cook
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »
Be nice...Ken doesn't do pics and he's not used to the abuse that Dee takes.  It sounds good though.
I also don't  post most of my cooks. Too much of in a hurry. This past Thursday I made two racks of BB ribs and 4 chicken 1/4s. They came out great. Made them in the PBC.
I'll give myself one of these ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 05:17:57 PM »
So Dee loans his camera out to Ken and Mike   ;D :D
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
Sure does sound good, Normally I would of sped read through your post to look at the pictures but actually  enjoyed reading it :)