Author Topic: Brusnwick Stew  (Read 1179 times)

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
Brusnwick Stew
« Reply #-1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:21:43 PM »
No not Dee's (his is very good though)

I deviated some.

Items for the sauce.

In a stock pot melt 1/4 cup butter then add the following

1 3/4 cups ketchup
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup vinegar

Blend until smooth (low heat)

Then add.

1/2 T chopped garlic
1 t course ground black pepper
1/2 t red pepper flakes
1/2 oz liquid smoke (yeah i know)
1 oz worcestershire
1oz your fav hot sauce
1/2 T lemon juice

Blend until smooth.

Then add 1/4 cup dark brown sugar. Blend until smooth, Simmer for 10 mins and set aside.

Next in a stock pot melt 1/4lb butter

Chop 1 onion and add to the melted butter. Add the potatoes. and 2 cans of chicken stock.

Im going to add some of the WSM PP from yesterday.

And some chicken (you can use however much meat you like)

Bring to a boil.

Then add the following.

1, 8.5oz peas (more if you like)
2, 14.5oz diced tomatoes with liquid

The prepared sauce you made
1, 16oz can lima beans with liquid
4 T liquid smoke
1, 14.5oz cream corn.

I layered the items mixing in after each.

All items added now simmer for 2 hours. You can adjust to your taste.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:03:00 PM by nepas »
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Brusnwick Stew
« on: February 25, 2013, 02:50:38 PM »
Good looking Brunswick Stew Rick! I bet you could find a squirrel running around the RV park to add in it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 02:52:17 PM »
Mama be eatin good tonight :) nice tutorial Rick!! I always think of bowling balls when I  see brunswick.

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:16:53 PM »
If the squirrels aren't available, you could always go get some of the gator meat that swims in your lake.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Brusnwick Stew
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »
Gonna try this. Sent the link to myself.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline RickB

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »
Nice looking stew Rick! For some reason I have always had a aversion to lima beans. To those of you like me try butter beans. Not as dry but a  similar taste. Another ingrediant  I sometimes add when available are pink eyed purple hull peas.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »
Nice looking stew Rick! For some reason I have always had a aversion to lima beans. To those of you like me try butter beans. Not as dry but a  similar taste. Another ingrediant  I sometimes add when available are pink eyed purple hull peas.

My wife is from south Alabama and I am from mid Alabama and we have a difference of opinion on what lima beans and butter beans are. To me the tan color bigger beans are butter beans and the green ones are called lima beans or green butter beans. She grew up with the opposite. But she also pronounces the fish crappie as crappy and up here we prounouce it croppy.
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline RickB

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »

My wife is from south Alabama and I am from mid Alabama and we have a difference of opinion on what lima beans and butter beans are. To me the tan color bigger beans are butter beans and the green ones are called lima beans or green butter beans. She grew up with the opposite. But she also pronounces the fish crappie as crappy and up here we prounouce it croppy.

Hate to side with your wife but she wins. Both beans are green . Lima beans are a larger bean, but butter beans are a smaller different shaped bean. Not as curved and fatter for their shape as a lima.

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 07:31:00 PM »

Hate to side with your wife but she wins. Both beans are green . Lima beans are a larger bean, but butter beans are a smaller different shaped bean. Not as curved and fatter for their shape as a lima.

Then what are the large tan colored ones that taste so much better?
Ken

Char-Broil The Big Easy

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 07:47:52 PM »
Thanks

i dont like lima or butter beans but my wife likes rm. i just spat em out.
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 10:37:48 PM »
Rick,  Looks good.   One of the good things about Brunswick Stew is there ain't no right and their ain't no wrong way.  Their all good.  As far a butter beans go there are a number of different kinds.  The most prevelant are speckled and dried with the latter being big and light tan and great on rice.  Speckled are great cooked with fat back and some whole okra.  Limas are available year round frozen and just about all over the country.  For the most part I find butter beans sweeter and more tender than limas.  If y'all ain't it...butter bean sandwiches are very good.  For a good song about butter beans go to YouTube and search for "Just a Bowl of Butter Beans" and listen to the version by Little Jimmy Dickins. It's as cultural as going to the opera at the Met.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers