Author Topic: Cackalacky Lollipops  (Read 1040 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Cackalacky Lollipops
« Reply #-1 on: March 03, 2013, 01:23:09 PM »
Cackalacky® Lollipops

A “Cackalacky Lollipop” is the meaty drumstick portion – between the elbow and the shoulder – of a chicken wing that has been “frenched” which means the skin, meat and tendons have been cut from the bone end and pushed up toward the top to form a ball. The lower half of the bone is exposed like the stick of a lollipop. (This is time consuming but worth the effort to impress your guests.)

Page Skelton, the creator of Cackalacky® Spice Sauce out of Chapel Hill, NC, developed this recipe quite a few years ago… I’ve just tweaked it a bit!

Two (or more) pounds of fresh chicken wings (not the frozen and breaded ones)
Hickory or apple smoked thin-sliced bacon
Round toothpicks
Your favorite BBQ rub (I like Mo’ Rockin’ Chicken Red Neck rub from Savor Spices)
1 (5-ounce) bottle Cackalacky® Spice Sauce (or more)

Remove the tips and flats from the wings, reserve for stock if desired. French the “lollipop” and wrap with bacon. Secure the bacon with a toothpick. Dust with your favorite BBQ rub or spice combination. (I suggest covering the exposed bone with foil to prevent burning.)

Prepare the grill for 350 degrees F. direct cooking and grill the chicken, turning frequently to avoid scorching. (I usually use a jalapeño (ABT) rack to cook the lollipops.) The finished temperature of the chicken should be 165 degrees F. (I use a Thermapen to assure food temperatures are correct.)

After the chicken is cooked and the bacon is crisp, brush the lollipops with Cackalacky® Spice Sauce and return to the grill for five to eight minutes. Brush the lollipops with another coating of sauce and cook another five minutes or until the sauce is nicely caramelized.

Remove the toothpick from the lollipop and serve.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Re: Cackalacky Lollipops
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:16:45 PM »
Folks, If you ain't tried these, you're missing a treat.  Your family will love them and love you for fixin' 'em.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Cackalacky Lollipops
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:17:25 PM »
Folks, If you ain't tried these, you're missing a treat.  Your family will love them and love you for fixin' 'em.  Dee

x2

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #