Author Topic: My 2nd Tri-Tip Beef Roast  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: My 2nd Tri-Tip Beef Roast
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »
Don that looks superb! I love the crust you got. 

What all was in the seasonings you used?  It looks liked some dried minced garlic, parsley flakes, pepper, red pepper flakes... am I close?
Ya got it right TH, this was in the post."My seasoning was a simple Santa Maria style of a tablespoon each, salt, dried garlic flakes, parsley and my pepper was a mix of red white, green, and black peppercorns ground course." I love that mix for any steak. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 12:11:19 AM »
The past week-end was a tri-tip time and I think everyone had theirs sliced correct except me!  :-[ I didn't notice when I sliced to serve, only after I uploaded the photos. I thought I remembered which point to angle from, next time I will mark it. It was really tender enough it didn't matter. Here is a photo of some I sliced for my supper tonight, sliced correct. I had it with some rice and carrots. My wife had a tooth pulled today so I guess I will have to eat the rest myself! Don

Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 08:42:53 AM »
Don that looks superb! I love the crust you got. 

What all was in the seasonings you used?  It looks liked some dried minced garlic, parsley flakes, pepper, red pepper flakes... am I close?
Ya got it right TH, this was in the post."My seasoning was a simple Santa Maria style of a tablespoon each, salt, dried garlic flakes, parsley and my pepper was a mix of red white, green, and black peppercorns ground course." I love that mix for any steak. Don

Ahhh... I see it in the original post now (brain fart  ::)) - Thanks Don!  We have some mixed pepper corns, so I'll be giving this a try very soon!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 08:48:32 AM »
Now Don I know where you are at Tri-tips can be a bit pricey but in California they are plentiful, always on sale in the summer, and a California staple.

I have a method that Jim(Jim's Barbeque) told me about where you cook the Tri-Tip like a brisket on low until the internal temp s 200F. It comes out moist, tender, and delicious. I call it Trisket. I thought Jim was crazy until I gave it a try. Of course I used $2lb Tri-Tip so it makes it easier to experiment.

In California good brisket can be a bit pricey and actually I can get Tri-Tip for less many times. Plus they will cook faster and come in a more manageable size.

So if you are interested I will smoke the Tri-Tip at 225F to 140F internal temp then tightly wrap in foil and finish at 260F until the internal temp s 200F. Let it rest then slice across the grain. You can also stuff it with garlic before smoking.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 05:45:44 PM »
Now Don I know where you are at Tri-tips can be a bit pricey but in California they are plentiful, always on sale in the summer, and a California staple.

I have a method that Jim(Jim's Barbeque) told me about where you cook the Tri-Tip like a brisket on low until the internal temp s 200F. It comes out moist, tender, and delicious. I call it Trisket. I thought Jim was crazy until I gave it a try. Of course I used $2lb Tri-Tip so it makes it easier to experiment.

In California good brisket can be a bit pricey and actually I can get Tri-Tip for less many times. Plus they will cook faster and come in a more manageable size.

So if you are interested I will smoke the Tri-Tip at 225F to 140F internal temp then tightly wrap in foil and finish at 260F until the internal temp s 200F. Let it rest then slice across the grain. You can also stuff it with garlic before smoking.

Muebe, how would you compare traditional cooking to 135-145 to the "trisket" as far as being juicy and tender? Does the trisket have the red/pink showing like one cooked medium rare? My wife likes beef cooked medium well to well done which is a problem for me with prime rib but I have never cooked a tri-tip and since I have now found a source here in Alabama I want to try one. I would like mine a nice juicy barely medium rare but if I can cook one to higher temps that would still be juicy and tender, she might eat it.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline CaptJack

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 06:03:20 PM »
I haven't cooked one yet
but a trisket sounds like it falls between a brisket and a low&slow prime rib
I really like tri-tip so that will be the next cook ;)
GO muebe
King of the OldSmokey

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:27:48 PM »
Here are picks of a Trisket cook I did. Took the IT to 200F. Does it still look tender? ;)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2013, 10:52:54 AM »
Thanks for the tips on doing a trisket muebe, your's do look pretty! I kinda hate to mess with the method I just used, I would compare it with eating a well prepared filet mignon. But with the fat content it may have been great with your method. From what all I have read the tri-tip was first done in CA and done low & slow over red oak wood. In other discussions people have had sucess doing them low & slow or hot & fast so it looks like it is pretty versitle as to how you cook it. Until a year ago you could never find it here in Ohio. This one just under 3 lbs my butcher charged me about $11 so just under $4 a lb & it was frozen. I think he charged me more for the first one. He never has them in the meat counter. I hardly ever see them in groceries here. The one time I remember one was over $7 a pound. I think I will try your trisket method on the next one, thanks, Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi