Cured Meats & Food Preservation > Charcuterie: Ham, Bacon, Sausage, etc.

Cures

<< < (2/3) > >>

TentHunteR:

--- Quote from: Barry CB Martin on March 04, 2013, 01:18:00 PM ---Q:  My friend Lynnae Beth Oxley (Sugars BBQ team) tells me that when I read that bacon, for instance, is  "Uncured" it generally means not cured with  added nitrates/nitrites, something like these mixtures.  BUT it is still cured because they use ingredients like sea salt and celery which contain natural nitrates.  Any thoughts on this opinion and if it's pretty much accurate - do you have any experience with these techniques?   8)

--- End quote ---

Barry, here's an experiment & write-up I did this past Fall on the subject:  Curing Sausage with Celery Juice - the experiment

I totally agree with nepas on the Celery Juice curing.  It's very misleading to say "no nitrites/nitrates added."   "Added"  being the operative word meaning not added as a specific ingredient.  It's much like the "No MSG added" hoax going on (but that's a whole other topic).

Cliff

Pappymn:
Nepas is the resident mad scientist. Most of the time I have no idea what he is saying.....but the pictures look great ;)

Barry CB Martin:

--- Quote from: TentHunteR on March 04, 2013, 03:43:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Barry CB Martin on March 04, 2013, 01:18:00 PM ---Q:  My friend Lynnae Beth Oxley (Sugars BBQ team) tells me that when I read that bacon, for instance, is  "Uncured" it generally means not cured with  added nitrates/nitrites, something like these mixtures.  BUT it is still cured because they use ingredients like sea salt and celery which contain natural nitrates.  Any thoughts on this opinion and if it's pretty much accurate - do you have any experience with these techniques?   8)

--- End quote ---

Barry, here's an experiment & write-up I did this past Fall on the subject:  Curing Sausage with Celery Juice - the experiment

I totally agree with nepas on the Celery Juice curing.  It's very misleading to say "no nitrites/nitrates added."   "Added"  being the operative word meaning not added as a specific ingredient.  It's much like the "No MSG added" hoax going on (but that's a whole other topic).

Cliff

--- End quote ---

Cliff - excellent resource - thanks.  I've always refrained from sausage making and such because of space, needs and --- quite honestly --- an aversion to starting because I suspect I'll get hooked! I see the slippery slope all y'all are on and it is worrisome!   8)

teesquare:
Once again - our charcuterie gang comes thru with great info - huh?

And -yes...it is true Barry...just reading the posts of  some of our resident gurus caused me to buy a 1-1/2 hp. commercial grinder :D ( I plan on renting it out to chip up trees, or maybe to "the mob"... ;) ) and I tested it with 27 lbs of sausage I made Friday.

It was too much fun, and the sausage was great!

sparky:

--- Quote from: Pappymn on March 04, 2013, 03:45:42 PM ---Nepas is the resident mad scientist. Most of the time I have no idea what he is saying.....but the pictures look great ;)

--- End quote ---

lol, me too.  thats so funny.   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version