Author Topic: Corned Beef Hash  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Ka Honu

Re: Corned Beef Hash
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:28:15 PM »
RAD - But how do you keep it lit?
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »
Corned beef boil looks great!  I only do that once a year for St Paddys day.  Love the corned beef hash even more!  I buy at least 6 corned beefs after St Paddys on sale and smoke for pastrami.  I use this recipe when I corn my own:

4 Qts. water
12 oz pickling Salt (about 1C+1Tbs.), or 1 ½ C of Morton’s Kosher salt
1 C. brown sugar (6 oz)
5 garlic cloves, medium size; mashed or coarsely chopped
1 Tbs. Black peppercorns
1 Tbs. whole coriander seeds, toasted
2 t. juniper berries, bruised
2 t. brown mustard seeds (or yellow)
*1 ½ oz. Pink salt (InstaCure #1, Prague Powder #1) {about 8 teaspoons}
Directions:

Use the back of a wooden spoon press down and bruise the juniper berries. Wood works better than metal. The wood seems to grasp the berries, while the metal spoon tends to shoot them out like marbles. In a 4 quart nonreactive pot, add 1 quart of water and all ingredients except the pink salt. Bring to a boil, and then simmer for 5 minutes; stirring to make sure all the sugar and salt has dissolved. During the simmering, a good amount of scum formed on the surface, but that cleared up after it had cooled and more liquid was added. After 5 minutes, and when the salt and sugar has dissolved, remove from heat and allow it to cool. I usually add ice until the pot is about 3/4 full.
Alternate method: Instead of heating the ingredients, mix the salt, sugar and pink salt into the 4 quarts of water and stir until completely dissolved. The pink salt can be added at this time, because the brine mixture will not be heated. Combine 16 fluid ounces of the brine mixture with the rest of the ingredients in a blender and process until evenly blended. Add this to the remaining brine. Also if you used this method, you don't have to bruise the juniper berries.
* The pink salt can be adjusted up to 3.2 ounces for four gallons. The increase in pink salt will give you more of that characteristic flavor you find in hams and bacon.
I then transfer the cooled mixture to my Rubbermaid 8 qt. food container; mixed in the pink salt, then added either ice or cold water to bring the mixture up to the 4 qt level. Refrigerate if necessary, and when the brine is cooled to at least 40°F place brisket into the container and brine for 4 - 5 days at 38°F to 40°F. If necessary, weigh it down with a plate to keep the meet fully submerged. Also, you can add up to an additional 2 cups of cold water, if necessary to cover the brisket.
The brisket may have to be bent to fix, because of the type of container you may have. So if the meat is touching the sides of the container; is alright because each day you need removed the brisket, stirred up the brine, bend the brisket in the opposite direction and return it to the brine until it is fully cured. This method is called over-hauling; the redistribution of cure. Rinse/soak then boil.

It's Habanero Smokers Recipe from the Bradley site.

I usually go on to smoke it for pastrami. See: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?157-Beef-Pastrami

Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »
This recipe looks great...would love it if you could copy it into our Charcuterie AND our Red Meat recipes.

If you need assistance - PM me or Smokeasaurus.

When I see good recipes - I want to be certain we do not lose them in the growing depths of posts in the forums. :)

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Corned Beef Hash
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2013, 10:26:07 AM »
Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2013, 12:17:17 PM »
wheres my plate barry?  looks good.   :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline RAD

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 01:01:48 PM »
RAD - But how do you keep it lit?
;D ;D ;D
Love to cook and eat