Author Topic: Comp Turn Ins  (Read 2473 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Comp Turn Ins
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 02:56:51 PM »
Again, I am NOT a judge and have no experience in this arena - so, should probably shut up... But, when I watch the comps on television, it always seems to me that the "greens" are a placeholder, something to take up space, a nod to convention, whatever. They do not make the box look more inviting to me as a guy who wants some good food. Now, if someone could make the greens "do" something... I am all for it. But as they sit (in my admittedly limited view) they do not attract and, frankly, distract for me. I'd like to see what you do with the meat or other "garnishes" to make an attractive "box".

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drbiggles

• Meathenge
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 06:00:53 PM »
Amen to getting rid of the "weeds in the box."  I wish more would do it.

Another point to having the greens is that depending on the submission, many times you do not have a full box of meat.  It's nice to be able to give the meat a placeholder, something to hold them in the box and frame them.

Offline smokentime

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 01:51:40 PM »
I'm no judge by any stretch of the means, but...I would love to start into a turn in like that! That's enough for me, what about the rest of the judges ;D Nice cook and thanks fr sharing!
We only cook and eat the piece of the hog that made a pig of itself.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2013, 09:04:06 PM »
Box looked very good to me, just need a libation or two ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.