Author Topic: Spicy German Beer Mustard  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Spicy German Beer Mustard
« Reply #-1 on: March 23, 2013, 02:13:51 AM »
Mar 22 2013

I am still on a mustard kick. I found my pickled mustard seeds were better as a topping for snacks and I wanted a slightly hot & spicy mustard for bratwurst. I found this spicy beer mustard at Food & Wine by Chef Jeremy Nolen. It sounded like it was what I wanted.

We are still not back to normal after a month of getting new toilets and floors in two bathrooms and all new carpet. Yesterday I found time to get my mustard seeds, beer and vinegar ready for an overnight soak.

Our son had given us a gift certificate from Red Lobster for Christmas. We had planned to use it for my birthday last month but were too busy getting ready for the bathroom redo. For dinner Thursday night we all went to Red Lobster. We had their lobster artichoke dip for an appetizer.  I had a lobster bake that had a lobster tail, shrimp, scallops, and mussels served over linguine with a butter wine sauce. My wife had stuffed tilapia with a lobster sauce over rice. I don’t remember what the kids had. We had a great time.

My wife has been sick all day today. I don’t think it was food poisoning since she didn’t have cramps. It was too much rich food or a touch of the stomach flu, or both. I got my CD cabinet back in my computer room. I have it anchored to the wall since it’s narrow. This afternoon I took time to finish up my mustard.

The recipe called for a good dark German beer, I used Becks. It also called for brown and yellow mustard seeds; all I had was yellow so that would have to do. I cut back on the salt, just a heaping teaspoon instead of two and used Celtic sea salt. I ground some whole allspice and just used a teaspoon.

I mixed a half cup of the beer along with the brown sugar, salt, allspice and turmeric in a small sauce pan. I brought it to a boil and then set aside to cool some. Be careful since it wants to boil over quick.

I mixed all together with the cup of ground mustard and processed it in a food processor. I had to do it in three batches. I pulsed each batch about eight times leaving some of the mustard seeds whole. The finished product was way too thin for me. There might be something you could add to thicken and not alter the taste but I didn’t know what. I just brought it to a slow boil and then simmered until it was the right consistency. I had to stir it almost steady until reduced.

When it cooled I put it in jars. It made about two and a half pints. After tasting I think this is going to be great on brats!

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/spicy-beer-mustard

Ingredients

Soaked seeds and mustard powder

Allspice, turmeric and salt

Beer and spices boiled

After cooking down to thicken

Finished mustard

Smokin Don
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 03:20:51 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
Re: Spicy German Beer Mustard
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:43:45 AM »
Don,
That mustard looks really good.  I have a bunch of brats I made a while back.  It may be time to mix up some mustard like yours.  Tim makes a pretty mean Guiness-based mustard that has a little kick to it.  I still have some in my refrigerator.  Almost out, however.  So I need some more mustard in the house.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:50:28 AM »
Looks Great, Going to get some mustard seeds on payday :)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 09:18:52 AM »
If anyone makes this mustard I would reduce the soaking liquid to just one cup of beer and vinegar then I think it would come out the right consistancy. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 01:59:11 PM »
Did you can it after cooking or just put it in jars?
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 03:02:54 PM »
I did not can it the recipe does not call for it and says it will keep for at least 3 months. I would not have heated it if it had been thick enough. I have since read where heating can make it more tart. When I make another batch I will just cut the beer and vinegar for soaking the mustard seeds to one cup of each instead of 1 1/2 cups. This should make it come out thicker. I am just a beginner at this. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline nepas

• Ft Pierce Fl. Member #35
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2013, 03:07:53 PM »
When i'm in the tent i'm blaming all y'all  ???
Flint
New Elder Wand with infa red tip.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2013, 10:38:57 PM »
I did not can it the recipe does not call for it and says it will keep for at least 3 months. I would not have heated it if it had been thick enough. I have since read where heating can make it more tart. When I make another batch I will just cut the beer and vinegar for soaking the mustard seeds to one cup of each instead of 1 1/2 cups. This should make it come out thicker. I am just a beginner at this. Don

One of the great things about making acidic or fermented foods - is that they almost an "auto-preserved" food. The stringent process of  heating the containers to sterilize, etc - is not needed unless you want months or years of preservation.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RAD

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 06:39:22 AM »
Thanks for sharing. I book marked for later
Love to cook and eat

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 05:44:46 PM »
I sent this link to a good German buddy I grew up with
he mentioned that if you just want to buy a good German Brat mustard

http://www.silverspringfoods.com/products/view/29/beer-n-brat-mustard3

Thanks CJ but the fun is makin your own! Don
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:26:48 AM by Smokin Don »
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »
Love good mustard.  Just ordered the seed from Penzey's and will duplicate.  Thanks for sharing.
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 11:16:44 AM »
Just put my order in for yellow and brown mustard seeds... I think I'll like this!
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:01:06 PM »
Just put my order in for yellow and brown mustard seeds... I think I'll like this!
Let me know how it comes out. I think I will use some brown the next time so I get more heat. Don
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2013, 03:53:02 PM »
Started making the mustard today... Use Guinesse Draught for the beer (couldn't get any decent German beer). Brown and yellow mustard seeds, malt vinegar and beer getting happy in the refrigerator.
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 08:11:49 AM »
Alright! I got inspired... Here are a few mustard recipes I'm working on...

If you’re a fan of flavorful mustard, you really should make your own! The process is simple but it does require advance preparation as the mustard seeds must soak for a while and then the mustard needs to mellow before it’s used. Due to its acidic nature, mustard does not require refrigeration but unrefrigerated mustard will lose its pungency quickly so it should be stored covered and refrigerated.

Spicy Mustard With Beer
This is s sharp, sweet and spicy combination that is great for anything… brats, sliced ham, salami, deviled eggs and everything else including just using it as a dipping sauce for pretzels or sliced sausages and cheese.

This recipe makes about 3 1/2 cups of delicious goodness.

1/2 cup brown or black mustard seeds
1/2 cup yellow mustard seeds
1 cup malt vinegar (you could use apple cider vinegar)
1 cup dark beer (I use Guinness Draught but a good German beer would also be nice)
1 cup mustard powder (I prefer Colman’s)
1/3 cup clover honey (or whatever honey you like)
1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt (or hickory smoked kosher salt if you have some)
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric

Combine the mustard seeds in a non-reactive container. Add the vinegar and 1/2 cup of beer. Cover and refrigerate at least overnight.
The next day, combine the honey, brown sugar, allspice, salt and turmeric with another 1/2 cup of beer in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat and cool. Transfer to a blender or food processor and add the ground mustard. Pulse to combine until smooth. Add the mustard seeds and soaking liquid. Purée to the desired consistency. (I used a Cuisinart SmartPower Duet and had to do the final mixing in batches. If you use a full-size food processor you can probably do it in one session.)
Pour the mustard into canning jars or some other non-reactive container, cover and refrigerate. (Allow the mustard to blend for at least two days before serving.) The mustard seeds will absorb some of the liquid so don’t be concerned if it looks too thin when you make it.
The mustard will keep its flavor, refrigerated, for up to three months.

Country-style Mustard
This country-style mustard is made from both mustard seeds and mustard powder. Grind the seeds coarsely or finely, depending on your preference. (This recipe makes about one cup.)

2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup mustard powder (I like Colman’s)
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt

Grind the mustard seeds to the desired consistency. Combine the mustard powder and ground seeds with the water in a non-reactive container. Let the flavors blend for 10 minutes. Add the vinegar and salt and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for three days before using.

Creole-style Mustard
Make your own hot and spicy Creole mustard at home with this easy recipe. The process is quite simple, but plan ahead… the mustard will need to sit at least three weeks to develop its full flavor. (This recipe makes about 2 1/2 cups but may be reduced.)

1 cup yellow and brown mustard seeds
1 cup dry white wine
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 tablespoons tarragon vinegar
2 tablespoons malt vinegar

Heat a dry heavy skillet over medium heat and add the mustard seeds. Heat until the seeds are nicely toasted. Remove from heat, cover with a side towel and cool. Using a spice grinder, coarsely grind the mustard seeds.
Sterilize three small canning jars and lids.
Whisk together the wine, garlic, celery seeds, allspice, salt, clove and nutmeg in a small sauce-pan. Bring to a low boil and remove from heat. Let the mixture steep for two hours.
Combine the mustard seeds, tarragon vinegar and malt vinegar in a large bowl. Reheat the wine and spice mixture to a simmer over medium-high heat. Strain and add to the mustard seeds; whisk until combined. Pour the mustard into the jars leaving 1/8-inch headspace and seal. Store the mustard in the pantry for three weeks before using. Once opened, keep the mustard refrigerated to preserve its flavor.

Chipotle Mustard
This mustard is smoky and fruity and makes a wonderful glaze for chicken breast or pork roast. It is hot. (This recipe makes about one cup.)

1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons chipotle powder
1/2 cup dry mustard

Using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle grind the seeds to the desired consistency. Combine the mustard seeds, vinegar, salt and chipotle powder in a non-reactive container and allow the mixture to rest overnight.
Pour the mixture into a small food processor and add the mustard powder. Pulse to combine.
Allow the mixture to mellow for at least three days before use.
(This mustard will keep its pungency, refrigerated, for two months.)

Whole-Grain Mustard
Similar to country mustard whole-grain mustard is spicy, sweet and sour. (This recipe makes about two cups.)

1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
1/2 cup malt vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt

Combine the mustard seeds, vinegar and water in a non-reactive bowl. Cover and let the mixture blend at room temperature for at least eight hours.
Pour the mixture into a small food processor and add the sugar and salt. Process until the mixture is coarsely ground. Transfer to a container and refrigerate for at least two days before use.
(This mustard will retain its flavor, if refrigerated, for up to two months.)

German-style Mustard
Depending on the region, German-style mustards vary greatly from a sweet mustard common to Bavaria that contains roasted mustard seeds, vinegar and honey to a medium-spicy style popular throughout Germany that combines brown and yellow mustard seeds with horseradish and other ingredients to a sharp mustard that is similar to the medium mustard but with more brown mustard seeds to kick up the heat level.

1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup mustard powder
3 tablespoons brown mustard seeds
1/2 cup water
1 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1 tablespoon dried minced onion
1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/4 teaspoon turmeric

Combine the mustard seeds and mustard powder in a non-reactive bowl.
In a small saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Allow the mixture to reduce by one-half. Cool and add the liquid to the mustard seeds. Let the mixture soak at room temperature, covered, for at least 24 hours.
Using a small food processor, purée the mixture to the desired consistency. Pour the mustard into canning jars or another container, cover, and let the mustard mellow for five days before using.
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi