Author Topic: Beef Ribs ??  (Read 1773 times)

Offline fishingbouchman

Beef Ribs ??
« Reply #-1 on: March 23, 2013, 05:26:57 AM »
Picked up some beef ribs for the wife.  how do you cook these things?  Plan on making them this weekend but not sure how to proceed. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Hub

Re: Beef Ribs ??
« on: March 23, 2013, 07:13:15 AM »
Beef ribs are yummy!  Steak on a stick, as they say.  Several approaches exist for fixing them but I think the old tried and true 3-2-1 approach is one of the best.  Just remember that the numbers are not exact times, just relative indicators.  Big, meaty "dinosaur bones" will take longer than smaller ribs.

Peel the skin off the back if you can.  Sometimes it can be very hard to get off.  If it won't come off, you can peel it after the cook.  On most beef ribs it is tough and thick.

Rub very lightly with your favorite beef rub.  I like plain old McCormick Montreal Steak.  It doesn't take much because you don't want to squelch that wonderful beefy flavor!  They'll also taste great with just a little salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Smoke 'em low and slow for at least two hours -- 250 degrees works.  They won't cook a whole lot during this phase but they do absorb smoke well.  Mesquite is my favorite but hickory is mighty good, too.  Oak is a little sweeter and milder.

Double wrap them in heavy foil, adding just a little moisture (it doesn't take much).  I mix beer and Worchestershire sauce 50/50 and add maybe two or three tablespoons to each rack.  Back into cooker at 250 for an hour.

Unwrap and test for doneness.  Like pork ribs, they are best if not mushy and falling off the bone.  The "toothpick" method of testing works well -- push a toothpick into the center of the meat between bones.  If it goes in easy, they're pretty much done.  If it takes effort to poke it in, cook them a little bit longer.  If you want the bones to fall out of the meat, keep on cooking in the foil until they do.  If not . . .

Apply a light coat of a bold and flavorful sauce like Head Country, Sweet Baby Ray's, or KC Masterpiece Original and return them to heat (no foil) just long enough to set the sauce.  About ten minutes will usually do it, but if your heat isn't too high you can go thirty without charring.

The resulting ribs will be beefy, smoky, tangy and fairly tender chewing, but they won't be pretty.  Beef rib meat shrinks a lot as it cooks -- lots of fat and connective tissue contributing to moisture.

Afterthought:  Some folks like their beef ribs grilled style without the smoke and foil phase.  This makes a "steakier" rib but the meat texture will be tougher.  I sometimes do them grilled only, too.  Makes for great gnawing.  When I grill them I don't sauce them.  Instead I serve cups of sauce for "dipping".

This is a very general kind of recipe/approach but beef ribs vary greatly in size, tenderness and cooking results so there is no "universal" method that will produce exactly the same results each time.  No matter, as long as you don't absolutely burn them up you'll have some tasty food and you'll develop a feel for how you like to cook them.  Let us know how they turn out  ;D

Hub 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 07:20:19 AM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2013, 08:47:11 AM »
Hub's approach is right on the money.  I have done it before and the only problem is that I didn't make enough of them.  Good luck and post your pictures so we can all drool.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 10:21:09 AM »
Hub called it  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2013, 12:59:25 PM »
I do mine w/out the foil.  250° is perfect temp.  toothpick test never fails when cooking ribs. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Beef Ribs ??
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2013, 02:36:58 PM »
My brother in law cooks beefs ribs and boy can that guy ............ Up. Like eating leather

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
I like to braise beef ribs to render all the fat then give them a finish searing on the grill ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 03:22:05 PM »
Same approach as spares for me, about 5-6 hours at 250.  I prefer not to foil especially with beef ribs as I really like the bark they take on.  I like a pretty aggressive (i.e. peppery) rub on them as well.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 03:06:19 AM »
Thanks for the input.  Working all night, get off work and rush to the dock to meet up with fishing friend, back to the dock by noon so I can get home and get meat on for birthday dinner.  Might be a bit tired come tomorrow night but I will get pictures posted on Monday. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"