Author Topic: STEAK!  (Read 3923 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
STEAK!
« Reply #-1 on: March 25, 2013, 09:30:22 PM »
Maybe it was your first object of grilling desire...or maybe it still is? Or - just maybe, like most of us - you are always looking to share some thoughts and ideas - and pick up some new ones form others?
This section is JUST FOR STEAKS!

So....let the sizzling begin!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
Re: STEAK!
« on: March 25, 2013, 11:12:47 PM »
On all my steaks, I use Tone's Signature Beef Seasoning (used to be called Tone's Steak Dust).  It doesn't add any flavor to the steak, but makes the beef flavor really stand out.  So you don't say "good seasoning", but instead say "good beef".  As far as a seasoning that you do notice, I had an Argentine steak rub from the World Market that was really good.  Gotta get some more.

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 12:05:37 AM »
I'll bite...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 12:08:59 AM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 12:35:25 AM »
Usually the most seasoning I want on a steak is coarse salt, fresh ground pepper, and garlic. As a rule I don't want any steak sauce either but always want to try anything new that looks & sounds good! Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:35:01 AM »
Salt, pepper, garlic and onion (I actually keep a separate shaker with all 4 combined since I pretty much put that on everything as a base).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:18:50 AM »
Reverse sear with mesquite for 30 minutes at 180, then just a light sprinkle of Montreal Steak Seasoning (kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, coarse ground black pepper) done right before the cook so that the salt doesn't affect the outside of the meat.  Flash sear on Grill Grates at 650 until finger test says it is medium rare.  Rest for ten minutes.  Serve with a dab of steak butter (recipe in my section "Basic Steak Grilling" article).  Nirvana  ;D

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 09:13:18 AM »
Now this is a topic dear to my heart Tee...

A cut above- I always try and stick to rib eyes but I am open to a Porter House, T-Bone, Top Sirloin and of course Filet Mignon. I like buying steaks at Costco because they are a minimum of choice to prime, have great marbling and are trimmed really well. Remember that fat = flavor and a nice distribution of uniform fat is important. Don't get crazy with trimming the fat. The fat will render and drip onto the flavorizer or open flame. This will steam and vaporize returning flavor to your steak. Once plated you do not need to eat the fat. Just trim and put to the side. My dogs love that ;)

More than four seasons- obliviously there are so many ways to season a steak from the simple to complex. I find that some salt in the seasoning helps to create a nice seared crust. Also remember that seasonings can change flavor after being seared. A marinated steak is good but I suggest you rinse the marinade off and dry the surface of the steak before searing. I like to season my steaks before vac sealing. I find that the vac sealing helps the seasoning to really penetrate the meat. And it makes things simple when you need to grill them. Just pull them from the package and slap em on the grill.

Thickness counts- I look for at least 1 inch thick steaks. But prefer 1 1/2 to 2 inches. A thick steak allows for a great sear and a medium rare finish. I pull 3 to 5 degrees lower than my target temperature because the steak will rise slightly and continue to cook after removing from the grill.

Searing for success- IMHO a nice, hot grill is a must for a great steak. Those sear marks not only look nice but also provide a charred flavor that I like. Plus the high temps allow for the steak to cook quickly so there is less moisture loss. Also let your steak come to near room temperature. You do not want to throw a fridge cold steak onto a hot grill. This will cool down the grill and inhibit the searing. Remember you want hot and fast! Now this can change depending in the thickness of the steak but I like to lay the steak down, wait 2 to 3 minutes, rotate 45 degrees, wait 2 to 3 minutes, flip, wait 2 to 3 minutes, instant read temp check, rotate 45 for 2-3 minutes if needed. I usually look for a 130F to 135F internal temp on my steaks for medium rare to rare the way that I like them.

Undercooked steak is not a bad thing- you can do underdone but you cannot undo overdone. Don't be afraid to undercook that steak. A simple return to the grill for a minute or two will solve that problem. Leave that grill on after your done so that if you get a complaint you can quickly remedy the problem with the hot grill still going. Just remember to shut it off when done ;)

Practice, practice, practice- not only knowing your grill is important but knowing your steak is too. Thickness, wet or dry seasoning, type of steak, and what kind of doneness your looking for. The more you cook the better you will know. You might be grilling two steaks but one is thicker than the other or perhaps your two steaks need to have a different doneness. Obviously you do not want to throw the steaks on at the same time. The look and feel of the steak will also come with practice. And a instant read thermometer is a must IMHO to get that perfectly cooked steak.

Rest is important- after removing the steak from the grill it is important that it rest before serving. Cutting into a steaming hot steak will cause it to dry out. The cooling will allow the juices to retract into the steak and thicken making for a juicy steak. Also let it rest on a raised rack. The heat will build up at the bottom of the plate the steak is resting on causing it to cook more. The raised rack will aid in faster cooling and less moisture loss.

Crowning the steak- There is nothing wrong with adding toppings to a nice seared steak. I like to top my steaks with Balsamic Vinegar Mushrooms and melted Blu Cheese. You can under cook the steak some and then top with grated Parmesan, throw it back on the hot grill with it off or into your broiler for a few minutes to melt the cheese, then top with roasted garlic and basil. The sky is the limit.

What is good for you- Remember the best judge of a way a steak should be is you. Get your process down and enjoy a steak the way you like it. Remember the best steak should always be the last one you ate ;)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 09:41:26 AM »
Man, all this talk of steak!!  I guess it's what I will cook for dinner tonight.  I just happen to have a nice looking rib eye to "practice" on. 

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Phil LaMarche

• Member No Longer With Us
    • W9DVM
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 10:59:35 AM »
Muebe.. All the right advice.  That's why I like my 4 burner RED and 700+ degrees. I like that charred crust and a juicy med rare center.  I season with Awake-a-Steak that has coffee in it. While resting, I bath with a fresh garlic butter and cracked Pepper from the mill. The butter goes into the char for a special flavor.
Charbroil 4 burner RED
Charbroil SRG
Large Big Green Egg
Pit Barrel Cooker

Offline Pappymn

STEAK!
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2013, 12:29:05 PM »
All great information. A smokin hot cast iron pan will do a heck of a steak too.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 01:06:27 PM »
over KB in the kettle w/ grill grates.  the best.  Costco steak seasoning.  oh baby.  I don't use a thermometer for steak.  its how much give it has.  squishy = rare, firm = well done, light give = medium, medium squishy = medium rare.  its all about the touch.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »
All great information. A smokin hot cast iron pan will do a heck of a steak too.

Grill marks can be delicious and good looking, but sometimes the overall crust from the cast iron pan is just the thing. Especially for a Pitsburgh Blue...

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

STEAK!
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 04:01:57 PM »
Meathead posted some new articles that debunk grill marks. Interesting read if you haven't seen it at amazingribs.com
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 06:27:21 PM »
I think this is the link Pappy is referring to:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline RAD

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 07:02:22 PM »
Hot Grill – yes

Room Temp – yes

Cook to thickness – yes

Know how each cut cooks (Rib eyes cook faster than NYS) – yes

Rest – Yes, not easy but necessary

Not much I can add here except for a couple of things I like to do.

1.   Olive oil – Sometimes, not always, I like to rub wiht some Olive oil before adding the sea salt and pepper. 
2.   Salt – when using salt, either add right before grilling or allow at least 45 minutes to an hour before grilling. Best if you have more than an hour.  This will cause the steak to brine in its own juices.
Love to cook and eat